Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weighted fly or not?
When I tie, obviously some flies are weighted and others are not. I have heard of using different colored heads and having seperate boxes to help sort them (weighted and non) but have never really taken to either of these. Have you heard or used any other method to differentiate between the two? Thank you!
[signature]
My opinion just depends on the water your fishing. Some waters fishing lower in the water column gives you a better opportunity I usually tie some weighted some bead headed and some without Planning ahead and knowing were you going to fish helps allot. But never hurts to have a little of both. As far as sorting I try to keep my gear light as possible and carry only 1 or 2 fly boxes with me. I usually sort my weighted flies from my regular flies I have a double sided fly box sorted from dries on one side and nymphs on the other then sorted top to bottom non weighted to weighted. Makes thing allot easier in the early Am hours.
[signature]
Always sort them- no different than anything else- to be efficient at anything you certainly need to know what's what.
[signature]
I prefer to always use BH flies and add weight when needed. Keeps things simple. I always run 2 flies while nymphing and usually the dropper fly is not weighted. I seem to have better luck this way.[Wink]
[signature]
Personally, i weight my nymphs with different sinkers and fly placements on the tip according to the waters i'm fishing. i feel it gives me more flexibility. For me, bhs are cumbersome to tie on and the cost of them i can use for other items. I do weight my large flies with lead. However, go with what works for you and the waters you fish.
[signature]
I tag my weighted flies with red thread heads, beside the obvious bead (which I prefer Tungsten) and as far as cones, I prefer aluminum.
I NEED to know which are weighted, because I use sinking lines on stillwater and prefer to let the line put the fly in the zone...not the weight of the fly (this varies too much)
I also like sinking lines in rivers but I do use floating most of the time.
[signature]
You can always just have unweighted nymphs and then just slide a beadhead on your line before you tie on and then have a BH fly. I slid on two cone heads this last wek for brookies- worked but not even close to a tube jig.
[signature]