Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing question
Hello. I am looking at some new lakes to try this year through the ice. The three that I am looking at are vernon reservoir, pelican lake and red creek reservoir. I am wondering how many guys on here have fished any of these lakes through the ice. Any advice on if one is better than another? I have never fished any of these 3 and would be driving there from Bountiful. Thanks for any advice and help you are willing to share. Chris
[signature]
I have fished Pelican through the ice several times. Had some great days of catching large bluegills with a few large mouth bass mixed in. I also had one trip where we couldn't find the fish. I have read reports that it is slower than it was in past years, so not sure how good it will be this ice season. Walk out from the east shore and find an opening in the moss.

If by Red Creek Reservoir, you mean the reservoir out by Fruitland, I have fished it a couple times through the ice and caught one trout after another. Most of the fish are in the 12 - 13 inch range with an occasional larger one mixed in. Difficult to get there after it snows unless one has a snowmobile.
[signature]
I have fished Pelican frequently in the past and it's been pretty good to me. Water clarity is getting worse and the bluegill are definitely not as big as they have been in the past. In order to find the fish, you need to be prepared to move. I spoke to a group of fishermen last year that were not catching anything. They basically setup in one spot and didn't move. We were following the fish as they moved and that caught their attention and asked us what we were doing to catch the fish. I don't know if they ended up moving because we left after catching 40ish bass and bluegill. I've found the fish move from day to day, so a spot that is hot one day may be cold the next. Good luck!
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!