Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Gear Advice
I'm looking to upgrade my ice fishing rod and reel from the $19 Wally World special I've been using.

Here's what I'm currently reviewing, but need your advice on what you use and if you had $100 what would you spend it on. Spinning reel or in-line reel and why?

[url "http://www.fishusa.com/product/Frabill-Bro-Series-371-Ice-Combos"][/url]http://www.fishusa.com/product/Frabill-Bro-Series-371-Ice-Combos[/url]

Any help and all opinions are appreciated.

Larry
[signature]
I would like to know this as well.
[signature]
with $100 bucks you could get 2 good combos, the biggest factor is what you will be targetting

for panfish i use
30" iceblue light rod with a cabelas spinning reel
this combo is only $45
the rod is $15 and the reel runs $30.. i have 4 set ups like this and catch big perch and big crappie

for trout a good combo is the abu garcia rod in m action

all depends on what you wanna target
[signature]
another great rod is the jason mitchell meatstick, super sensitive tip for light biters like perch and bluegill, you could go custom as well!!
[signature]
I was actually ice fishing on December 27th in Island Lake in Minnesota with Brian "Bro" Brosdahl. Using that very rod /reel combo as well as his other combo.

While I can see the benefits of fishing with that combo....I am not a fan of the in-line reel. I thought I would love it. But turns out that my personal preference is a regular spinning reel.

One thing I didn't realize until I used it as that the side of the reel is open....which allows you to turn the reel sideways (handle up) and the line will free-spool off as your lure is going down the hole. You don't have to pull out line or open a bail. So I thought that was pretty cool.

I have purchased over 100 different rods and reels from $9 to $119. Some I like for different reasons that others. Some were bought in bulk to use for Scouts, groups, office party, etc.

After using high end and low end...my favorite combos run between $39 and $79.
I have a White Noise from 13 Fishing that is awesome. Also some of the Dave Genz blue series around $59 is pretty sweet.

I actually bought an inline reel (not the bro series) and never used it because although it says it works right hand or left hand....it doesn't do what I want it to (right hand it reels backwards, left hand reels forwards) I want it to reel right hand forwards.
If you are interested in I'll sell it for a pretty good price.

That said - one of my favorite rods I am using right now is the Bro Series 28in ML. It works for everything. Perch/Bluegill to the Walleye and the 33 in Northern Pike I caught on it last week. Love that rod. $59 at FishUSA or avail at Cabelas.

Bro knows his stuff. It was awesome to spend the day with him.
[signature]
I have tried many different combinations over the years..spinning reels, ice reels, bait casters among different rod combinations. I have come to realize that a decent bait caster reel is the best. These eliminate line twist. When you drop a jig down, you don't want the jig down there spiraling around. As far as rods go, I personally like a fairly stiff rod so I can get a good hook set. The best rods I have found are grizzly rods that I bought off ebay cheap. They have a nice cork handle and good ceramic guides. I have had some rods with crappy line guides that have torn up the line. In my opinion, the rods aren't as critical as a good reel with good line. Hope that helps.
[signature]
Hey I got the Eagle claw version of those reels last year and for ice fishing I really like them, but if you're going to use the reels for hard and soft water just go with a regular spinning reel... I bought one reel like that and after a trip I went and bought a second one, so that should be a little bit of an indicator on whether they are useful or not... I sort of like the way it reminds me of flyfishing and trolling at the same time.... you have the star drags and can palm the spool if necessary... They are very different to get used to, but much better for letting line out and getting on the correct depth... Like mentioned the line seems to have way less twists and since your fighting through an ice hole it works for catching fish just fine... Definitely not a must have, but a kind of fun reel for the hard deck season... Good luck with your choice... Later J
[signature]
[url "http://www.fishusa.com/product/St-Croix-Premier-Ice-RodReel-Combos?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=CKa256eVkcoCFYcBaQodm2IELw"]http://www.fishusa.com/product/St-Croix-Premier-Ice-RodReel-Combos?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=CKa256eVkcoCFYcBaQodm2IELw[/url]

that St Croix is my go too ice rod. I've yanked in trout up to 8 lbs with it and zero issues. Got a half dozen other rods and reel combos some pretty nice frabils but end of the day I come back to that one for sensitivity, stiff enough for a good hook set, and a good reel for bigger fish that a drag is needed on.
[signature]
I have light, med, and med heavy rods. All have their place.
[signature]