Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp Punishing at its finest.
[#505000]07-04-05 Fishluver, Rvanman2000, and I hit the shores of Lincoln Beach, after a less than stellar morning of fishing Fishluvr and I grabbed our bows, some cheap P.O.S. aluminum arrows, and went in search of Carp.[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]We located a flooded field east of the lake and went to work. Two hours later we slogged out of the field with between 60-70 carp left for dead, a few blisters, bruises, wet clothing, and big cheesy grins on our faces. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Anything we can do to help the poor June Sucker. A fine day of carp punishing is very rewarding.[/#505000]
[signature]
Wondering if you have any carp cut bait left from the carnage. I only have a little bit of carp left over from last year and need to stock up again.
[signature]
Did you just leave them on the shoreline?

Rut
[signature]
[#505000]We did leave them but we also weren't anywhere near the lake, we were in a flooded field probably 2-3 miles away. They swim from the lake to roll in the flooded grass of the field. I have tons O' carp at home so I didn't keep any. If anyone ever needs carp I would be more than happy to start bringing more home if people want it.[/#505000]
[signature]
Nothing like completing the carp circle of life! Strong work Gary, sounds like a lot of fun. At least you are doing your part to preserve the june sucker.
[signature]
It was good helping Gary finally earn his title of Carp Punisher. I was hesitant that he would shoot me with his bow but after his first couple of shots and a little instruction he was hitting everything, (except carp). I gave him a release and an arm guard and just assumed he knew how to use the arm guard. Boy was I wrong. You should see the bruises he has on his left arm that he got from string slap. Once he finally learned where to put the arm guard and I talked him into only drawing the bow about half way the arm slap drama went away.

It was definitely a good time with some fun shots and funny moments. One carp gary shot through the side of the head didn't like being shot and tried to swim away. Of course we couldn't be having that so Gary shot him again, this time in the tail. I have never seen a fish try to swim before with an arrow at both ends of it. There weren't as many carp in the field as last time I went but definitely enough to have a good time.

Carp Punisher, Punish on.
[signature]
I didn't realize the water had gotten so high, maybe I should get down there. The reason I asked was I heard you had to take the carp with you after you shot them.

Rut
[signature]
All it says in the Proclamation is that the fish can not be abandoned on the shoreline. I am not sure if left dead in the flooded field would fit in this area. It think that it is a very gray area and they just don't want the fish left where it could cause a problem. Leaving them in the field does not do any harm and I'm sure the DWR would not say anything.
[signature]
I know that I could use some card for bat... I would be willing to compensate you with some beer or soda!
[signature]
[#505000]If you're willing to come get it I'll bring a few home with me next time I go out. If you want them pre-prepared as bait, I'll have to charge you a Diet Pepsi for labor!![/#505000] [Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Hey Gary, Rvanman2000, and fishluvr, it was great meeting you guys Monday at Lincoln. I was shorebound Monday because of a new hole in my tube that I found out about the hard way (when i was about a quarter mile away from the harbor). You guys left at a good time right before the massive heat and the power squadron got there. I did manage 3 mudcats (which I gave to the nice Asian guys that were fishing by us, and a couple of BIG ones (either big K's or buglemouth bass-not sure which) that broke me off. Well, about 5 minutes after you left when I took your spot off the point I had a ferocious bite so I went to set the hook and was fighting him for about 5 seconds and then all of a sudden I was snagged up. He must have gone right under those big boulders that are so prevelent right there off the harbor entrance. So, after about 5 minutes of trying to get unsnagged, I just said the hell with it, and cut the line. I'm not sure if the fish was still on at that point, or if he got off when he snagged me up.

Then, about an hour later (in between mudcats) I had a massive hit again and immediately grabbed my rod and started fighting this big brute. Well, it was very quick, and he won! after picking up the rod it immediately starting making my reel sing for about 5 seconds is all, and then my line snapped, just like that. It looks like it snapped where I tied up my set up though, so I've gotta stop tying those damn wimpy clinch nots and try TubeDude's 3 circle type knot featured in the techniques section of this board!

All in all though, it was better than sitting home, and it was good to meet 3 BFT'rs. It was too hot though for me there, so I think I'm done chasing after the Utah Lake fish until the fall unless I go at night to hang out with the massive bugs. Until then, I think I'll chase some slimer rockets and smallies for a while up in the cooler country.
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the help, Pat. I'll have to take you up on that soon. Hopefully next week. I'll give ya a call. Glad you caught some over on the West side.
[signature]
[#505000]Don't give up on Utah Lake so quick!!!! We need to go out and float it from a few spots. I think Lindon BH is going to cover the rest of my summer. Lincoln is getting to be too crowded on the weekends. I think LBH tends to thin the crowds when they got's to pay the entrance fee.[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Sounds like we need to bug Pat to set up saturday floatilla. I would do it but I'm grounded!! [Tongue][/#505000]
[signature]
[#505000]When is this "tentative" secret flotillia and where? How does one invite themselves along??? [Wink][/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]If you don't mind an extra body I may be interested. If you do mind an extra body I also understand that completely. [cool][/#505000]
[signature]
Hey Gary,

You might want to check your DWR proclamation - it says that it is illegal to waste(leave on the bank to decay) any fish - including cyprinidea carpio(Carp) ! Maybe they will turn a blind eye because of the June sucker in this case - I could be wrong, but, you might want to check into it.
[signature]
[#505000]I was aware of that section of the proclamation, however since we were nowhere near a shoreline, I figured we would be ok. I was actually thinking about the service we were providing in the fact that the "released" carp, would remain in that field and help the grass grow thick and high so when the water receeded the farmer would have a very healthy and lush field on which to graze his cattle. [Wink][/#505000]
[signature]
Hey Gary,

I am with you on the need to deal with the carp overpopulation issue. I just wanted to bring that up in case you had not seen it. I think most DWR officers would not have much of a problem with it, however, there are those that might(as a law enforcement officer, you would know this), and the proclamation does not differentiate as to what water it is, where it is found, or the type of environment it is, or if it is on private property.

BTW - I would like to get a bow for hunting carp - would you have any recommendations as to the minimum draw weight needed ? How about the difference between recurves and compounds ? Are aluminum arrows the better choice ? And do you just use field tips rather than fish or broadheads ?
[signature]
[#505000]I'm not much of a bow expert. I just purchased mine from a local pawn shop for $40. I have a jacked up right shoulder so I can't pull much weight on it without it killing me and then feeling it for a few days. The bow I get we let off as much as we could. Hutning carp we didn't even use full draw on them. I guess there really is no difference on recurve or compund for hunting carp as long as you can get enough pull to launch an arrow.[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]As far as arrows go I would recommend aluminum since they float. We also just used field tips on them. I would hate to lose, then step on a broadhead in my neoperene wading shoes. When we carp hunt a long shot is anything over 10 feet and will likely lose you an arrow. I would say %98 of our shots were closer than 10 feet. We fished for 2 hours with 6 arrows apiece and I think we only lost 1. Also the arrows we used were junky, some missing fletchings ect... most shots will be so close it won't matter.[/#505000]
[signature]
I take it from your description, you have a compound bow - is that correct ? As I understand(and I admitt I know very little) compound bows are adjustable to a certain degree. The reason I ask is that I saw a kids compound bow(20 or 30 lbs draw) in a pawn shop for pretty cheap and was wondering if that would be enough to work. Did you get your arrows at a pawn shop as well ? Hey thanks for the info !
[signature]
[#505000]Ya mine is a compund bow, and they are adjustable. 20-30lbs draw would be fine for carp. I think mine is around 45lbs, and I was perforating them on a partial draw.[/#505000]
[signature]