Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redfish at night, sailors' delight - Pensacola, Fl.
[font "Times New Roman"]It’s early May and it feels like the latter part of March, what with the winds blowing like they have been. Like I’ve stated in my previous reports, when the wind isn’t too bad, and we’ve gone out, the fishing has been very good. Fishing in the ICW has been pretty good from daylight to around 9am for Specks. I’ve been tossing out a 4” Top Dog Mirror Lure for my top-water applications, and when the fish seem to tire of that, I’ve gone to my trusty Exude Dart or Exude RT slug. I’ve been experimenting with a few different lures and colors, and while I’m still throwing the Golden Bream, I’ve also been using the Shrimp fantail in solid white glow, and it’s been producing some nice fish when used under a popping cork. While fishing for specks, I’ve also been picking up some nice Skipjacks (Ladyfish) and a few Bluefish mixed in.
I’ve been working a few docks near some of the flats in the ICW, and have hooked up some nice slot redfish. My baits of choice have been a live shrimp with a #4 live bait Gamakatsu hook, a Berkley Gulp 3 –4” Shrimp on a ¼ oz jig head, or a weighted Gamakatsu hook. During my night trips, we have been going after the reds that are running near the 3-mile bridge. This has been some great fishing, and we’ve not only hooked up the reds, but also some white trout, specks, and even some nice keeper mangrove snapper.
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: 100_0953.JPG][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
The surf has been a little rough just off the beaches, but at the beginning of the week I was able to get out, and it was worth the wait. We boated a few nice Jacks cruising down the sand bars and we spotted a few big schools of Spanish mackerel as they fed on small bait pods.

[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]With the wind the way it’s been, and the gulf just a little bit bouncier than I prefer, I haven’t been out fishing for Red Snapper all that much, but trust me to tell you that they are out there and they are hungry. When the gulf does finally calm down, I’ll be out there for sure, reeling them in and putting a few on ice.
The Kings haven’t really made a good showing yet, but it won’t be long. Give it a few more weeks, as the water temperature rises to near 75 degrees, and then it will be on.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]

Here's wishing everyone Tight Lines.
Capt. John Rivers
Mega-Bite Inshore Charters
850-341-9816

Thanks to my sponsors:
Mann's Lures, SPRO Fishing Tackle
Gamakatsu Hooks, Pure Fishing - Berkley
ABU Garcia, Shakespeare, Sea Pro Boats[/font]
[signature]