Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barge Fishing
[fishin]
so i was wondering does anyone know about barge fishing?
I use to go when I was a kid
it was in long beach but we stopped going because something about the barge moved or something ,
I was wondering does it still exist?
I'm not much of a fisher now but my husband loves fishing
and I want to take him on the barge.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there lilchi and welcome to the BFT & California forum. I don't follow the salt activity, but have no fear for the guy that has all the answers is our resident pro TubeN2. He should be checking in shortly. BTW [/size][/#008000][/font] [font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]few Southern Californians realize that over 110 fishing barges dotted our coastline from San Diego to Santa Barbara and beyond for three quarters of a century. Vessels that outlived their usefulness were now moored near the coast as platforms from which to fish. The story of each barge, its previous trades under sail and steam, the barge industry, and the fishing of yesteryear are captured in Fishing Barges of California 1921-1998.

[/size][/#008000][/font][signature]
The fishing barges in Long Beach area have long since been retired. It's been about 28 years since they were finally removed.

The sportfishing boats eventually took over with better pricing and added convenience.

There are still several landings in that area with plenty of 1/2, 3/4 and full day open party schedules. Overnighters, 1 1/2 day and 2 day trips are also available by way of private charter of the boats.

We do have a Cali referrence section that might be of interest to you. It lists the majority of the boats and landings in California inchuding Berth 55, 22nd st Landing, LA Harbor Sportfishing, and Pierpoint Landing which are all within 2 miles of each other.[cool]
[signature]