Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport back bay
Hello Folks,

Does anyone out there know how the action is in Newport back bay? I read some older small articals on flyfishing there.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#000000][size 4][Image: happy.gif][#008000]I believe our friend Bendopolo gets out there now & then. Hopefully he'll drop in and give you an update.[/#008000][/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
Hey Shipmaster.

There is some decent action in there right now. Some stray Bones and Spotties are hanging out in there.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks TubeN2,

Some how I knew you would be the one to know!!! Bones can be fun to catch on lite stuff, and I know they are running. I went out yesterday on cattle boat out of L.B. bit of a disappointment, but any day on the water and not at work is a good day. Of course unless your work is on the water....
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Well at least you got out on the salt. And you made it before the Santa Ana's came up.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I love catching bones and cudas on light. I pretty much fish light on just about everything. I really don't need very heavy line especially when fishing from a float tube.

Sometimes I still go on the Moo Moos as we call the cattle boats and fish with my lighter Bass rigs. I gets the job done and I get to do more Angling and less Tangling.[cool][cool]
[signature]
Well I wrote a long diatribe on how polluted Newport is and how much I hate seeing rolled up diapers and condoms floating by. Next thing you know my buddy Bob calls me up and here we go to Newport again. I hope this report doesn't disappear.
We went down yesterday afternoon, right at low tide, about 2:30pm. Bob doesn't like to kick around as much as I do and I got to hear his complaints as we kicked out from the public dock down by the Wedge to the Bait Barge out by the long jetty. No hits dredging the bottom on the way out to our destination. I put a Super Stretchy out near the corner of the Barge and instantly hooked up a 14 inch Calico bass. Then another. Then another before Bob made it over. WFO on the keeper Calicos for the next hour as we landed, and released, over 50 bass. None smaller than 12 inches and none bigger than 14 inches. Some of those fish were so fat they could barely swim. The tide finally swept us away from our fishin' hole and we drifted into the bay. Fishing slowed for awhile until we reached some docks on the south side of the bay. Bob hooks up another Calico and I'm wondering whats' up with all these strange bass in the bay. Then I nail a Sand Bass and then we get into the Spotties. Not wide open but a fish here and a fish there, some outside some up under the docks. Cast too far towards the seawall and it was instant short Halibut. Bonito were chasing bait inside the bay but we couldn't get any to go, too fast!. These Bonies were like ghosts, up for a second splashing and then gone and then up a hundred yards away. Hard to chase fast fish in a float tube. We ended up with 70 fish between us in a four hour trip, just like the good ole days. My arms are tired! I took one pic of Bob with a Spottie, just to busy to shoot anymore.
[signature]
It sounds like you were giving em hell out there. Nice way to get er done. Nice Spottie too.[cool]
[signature]