Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
montana
spent memorial in montana. hot weather which i was hopin to get away from. but great to be out. had decent success on the fish. the water on the rivers in western montana is in full run off. so we spent most of our time on the lakes and spillways. to my amazement our group caught 20 or so bull trout. i had caught my first one last year. not real big but they fight especially on a ultra light in fast current. largest went around 17 inches. we did hook into some nice westlopes one around 4 lbs. and i caught one around 2lbs. in full spawn colors and the prestties fish i have ever seen. other than high water was a great fishign trip. hope everyone else had a good weekend.
[signature]
[Smile]I love fishing western Montana!! Where exactly did you go? When I go up there I pick out a place and drive straight to it. Otherwise I end up stopping here and there and never end up where I wanted to go. Which is also fun. There are just so many places and you don't to go very far to any of them.
[signature]
Haven't heard from ya in a while Xman. sounds like you had a good weekend, any pics?
[signature]
yeah we just got them developed ill try to post them here. its so much of a hassle to post them on a website that will work holding the pictures then cup and copy them over here that i dont post pictures much on here. just dont have alot of time to mess with that. it was a good trip. we go about 3 or 4 times a year depending on the year. we will be back soon for after the runoff.
[signature]
Sounds like you had a great trip. I'm working on get my yearly big trip in but life keeps on getting in the way. Oh well atleast your getting out. Let me guess the girlfriend caught the big one, again.
[signature]
Hey xman In your montana trips have you ever tried cliff lake?I was elk hunting that area one year and watched a float tuber catch 2 browns both between 8 and 10lbs.He informed me that those, and larger ones were not uncommon there.He also said it was a tough water to fish and you can get skunked easier tha you can get the large ones.I've always wanted to give it a try,but would like to know the best time to hit it to increase the odds.Just wondering if you've fished it.It sits just above the madison(along with another lake which name eludes me)Thanks Lonnie
[signature]
The other lake up by Cliff Lake is called Wade Lake. Like Lonnie, the only time I've been in the area was during the late season elk hunt, so I've never had the opportunity to fish either lake. If I'm correct the Montana state record Brown Trout came out of Wade Lake about 40 years ago. I've been planning to get up there for the last 3 years now, but something always seems to keep me from going. If you want to see some bruisers (that you're not allowed to fish for because of the seasons) go up there in late November. There is a stream that you have to cross to get to Wade lake (coming from the north side) stop at the crossing and take a look in the pond that is just upstream. It'll make your eyes just about come out of their sockets.
[signature]
[#ff0000]Dang, one thing about this site is it ruins me for the rest of the whole next day at work, can't concentrate and all. I used to have the Bitterroot River right in my backyard - literally. There was a little backwash area at the tail end of a little island that we'd pull some lunker browns out this time at high water. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
Hey Xman, hope you will post your picts (as usuall) at "Utah Fish Talk" I look forward to seeing them.
[signature]
hey never.

where did you live up there? that is where we go and i know it real well. man if you saw it now you wouldnt recognize it. im sure you have seen runoff on it of course but geez i havent seen it like that. i looked up the water flows and as of 22 to 26 or so of may it was running almost 9,000 cfs and 13,000 down by missoula.
[signature]
hey bryan,

i was thinking everyone was tired of my pics so i didnt think of posting them this time. if you want ill throw them up there. alot of them turned out awesome.
[signature]
Yeah, please do, I always enjoy your awsome photos.
[signature]
[#ff0000]I lived in Fort Missoula right along the first "island" below the bridge. It was fairly rural when I was there, probably right in the middle of town now. I also lived in the Anaconda area; you haven't lived until you've played in the Anaconda-Pintlar range either. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
I guess i have lived then haha
[signature]
I've always wanted to fish Fort Peck where Montana's famous for those huge 'eyes! Someday, I'm going to cut that ball and chain that wife attached to my ankle and escape to Montana...
[signature]
[cool]When you get tired of beating up on big walleyes and northerns, on the lake, go down below the dam and wrestle with some of those prehistoric paddlefish. Unfortunately that fishery is a snagging situtation, since they do not hit bait or lures. Strictly hand to fin combat with a big fish...kinda like a carp on steroids...with a big nose.

TubeDude
[signature]
ive been seriously thinking of trying that. though the season is over this year. i think i might try that next year on the missouri or yellowstone. dang that looks fun. i saw a new rig they use instead of snagging them with big trebles they are using nooses and then letting them go.
[signature]
hehe. hey there guest. the dt is in full colors. i was trying to get ahold of you today to get my belongings back and drag you out on willard. i have a report ill post today about it. let me know when ill probably go tomorrow again. and yes that was a sweet trip regardless of the 4 inches of water my clothes soaked up haha.
[signature]
well fort peck sure isnt known for the scenery but it is for the walleye thats for sure. that is quite the drive. im sure it would be well worth it. i have never fished it and if i remember right you have the marias and milk river and sun river i think i got the names right. that all have sauger walleye bass etc in them too up there.
[signature]
hey lonnie,

no i have never fished those lakes. we tend to stay on the more western side of montana. i have done minimal fishing in the madison drainage area. there is just so much water up there how the heck can you cover it all? i wish i could. that sounds quite interesting though big browns like that get my attention and start creating future trips with stories like that.
[signature]