Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind River Combo
I am looking at buying a new rod/reel combo for possible salmon/steelhead fishing this summer. I am not looking at spending a lot of money, because I do not know how long I will be in salmon/steelhead waters, so I do not need anything real special. I came across the wind river combo at cabelas and I can get it in an 8wt for 99 dollars. would this be worth the buy? Not looking to spend over about 120 dollars probably.
[signature]
I know exactly what you are saying. My first 8 wt. was not one of my more expensive rods (however it was around $400. at full price) I too didn't want to spend allot on a rod I was only going to use once in awhile, BUT I also didn't want a rod that was going to break while trying to land maybe the fish of my life.
I bought the Orvis Trident TLS 10' 2 pc. 8 wt. with a removable 3" fighting butt which is really nice. I got it for half price...NEW with full warranty.

Since then I have added a Winston BIIx 9' 8 wt. , a Rivendell 12' 6/7 Spey and a 13' 7/8 Spey.
I realized I can use an 8 weight much more than I thought. It definitely is NOT overkill on a couple of lakes I fish and CARP!!! Plus Bass for Big Flies and Brushy water.

I am not familiar personally with the outfit you are talking about, but I think if you want to CATCH a steelhead, first off you are going to need a GOOD line and possibly some shooting/sinking heads.
I bought the Orvis Multi Tip line which at $129. seemed like extreme, but I basically ended up with 4 lines and one reel to hold them so it was a good choice to me.
[signature]
I'm with FlyGoddess on this one for sure.

A #8 weight outfit is incredibly more versitile than a lot of people think. It is, IMO, the best all-around size for bigger fish.

Steelhead and salmon, certainly. But it's also a great size for bass; you can use it for musky if you downsize the flies a bit; and it's a wonderful light-salt water outfit.

Personally, I would not skimp on the rod. Even if you leave steelhead country, you'll find all sorts of uses for it.

And I second her motion about lines. If I was rigging new for steelies I wouldn't consider anything other than a shooting-head system. There are just too many variable conditions of water depth, current speed, etc. to lock yourself into just one line type.

And, there again, you'll find that a shooting head is very useful anytime you're fishing big or fast water.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
I also forgot to mention that i am 23, and graduating college in may, and will be moving to an area I have never lived before and just starting a job. Basically what I am saying is that I don't have 400 dollars laying around to buy a rod,or 120 dollars to buy fly line. Just looking for a inexpensive starting combo that will allow me to catch a fish.
[signature]
The multi tip lines will save you a bunch of money. Swinging flies for summer and winter run pacific steelhead requires the use of lines of different sink rates to be effective. Two fish a day is a good day for steelheading so you need to put as many things in your favor as possible to become successful. buying 3 or 4 fly lines along with the spare spools is much more expensive than the muli tip lines.

If you plan on getting serious about swinging flies, you probably WILL end up with a spey rod. So much more effective and efficient than a single hander.

Going steelheading with the wrong gear is like going moose hunting with a single shot .223
[signature]
[quote SdDryFly]I also forgot to mention that i am 23, and graduating college in may, and will be moving to an area I have never lived before and just starting a job. Basically what I am saying is that I don't have 400 dollars laying around to buy a rod,or 120 dollars to buy fly line. Just looking for a inexpensive starting combo that will allow me to catch a fish.[/quote]

I wish I could tell you that this can be done, but I really don't feel it can.
You could get lucky and catch one or two with this inexpensive outfit, but when you are talking Steelhead, it requires allot more than mountain Brook trout, or any wild trout.

If you really want to try steelheading and just can't afford a good set up, try attaching the fly to a spinning outfit (which will allow you to skimp on price. You can pick up an UGLY STICK and a good spinning reel for under $100.
Once you have formed the passion and the finances are better, then go for the fly gear
[signature]
crap sis.. Im the one that is suppose to remember the bubble fly trick.. LOL.. but I am guessing with steelheads you can leave teh bubble off and add a small weight on instead..

I know for a fact that you can pick up an ugly stick for less that 100.. or the whumpin stick (by cabelas I think).. good heavy weight rods and reels..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
alright, maybe I needed more information in my post. Maybe i just don't know enough about the area. the area I am possibly moving to is the salmon river area in idaho. I don't know if steelhead is the main fis that is fished for or if rainbows and brook trout are. I currently fly fish for bows/browns in western sd and use a 5/6 wt rod. I was just looking at a cheap 8 wt rod incase I was to hook in to a salmon or steelhead. I do not think they will be my main target species. Maybe this will help.
[signature]
3-6wt would work for everything in that area lots of creeks and streams. stealhead and salmon you should use a 7-8 wt. if you have a good spin outfit you can use that and still use a fly. I've been using a spin outfit for the last 6-7 years and I've caught them using streamer paterns. This year I just bought a flyrod 7-8 and hopefully by next spring I'll have found a reel and line. if I don't I still can use a spin outfit
[signature]
are you using a bubble/fly setup with your spinning rig.. if not how are setting things up??

MacFly
[signature]
GO BUY A WW GRIGG they are great to learn with and beat up. YOu can get them with a reel and line already. I found my first rod when I was 16 I think the whole set up was around 80 bucks. They are not fancy and dont have a warranty but I caught tons of fish and learned a whole lot by just going out and using the thing. FLIES GET THE FISH TO BITE NOT THE ROD/REEL/LINE.

That being said I dont know about prices on 8wts it might be a whole different ball game.[Wink]
[signature]
heres a setup sorta like I use except I use flies. you basically toss it out and the wt takes it down and it bounces off the bottom and at the ed it will swing toward shore. you just add or take away from wt till you get the right drift

[inline setup.jpg]
[signature]
awesome.. thanks for the info

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
FOD...I LOVE! my W.W. Griggs Vintage (Glass with Graphite scrim so a little faster). It is a 5/6 weight, but I like the 6 weight line on it.

Poky pointed out what I was trying to say.

A sinking line or a sink tip would be very important. Using a heavy fly off a dry line would not give the same effect let alone be very hard to cast. Some flies you could have dredge the bottom (heavy weighted flies) but I would think a free floating fly off a sinking line with the right length leader would be more effective.

We are not questioning so much the price of the rod, but more the line.
You could get a floating line, then buy another spool and load it with a sinking line, or you can check into the sink tips they sell separately.
OR, if you could find an inexpensive sinking line which I see all the time, or even trolling lead core line, make your own. I would make one 15' and one 7' and maybe a 4' for the slower water. There are ways to cut corners.

You will need a reel with a good drag as the Steelhead can and will spool you.

Good luck, and sounds like you are moving to God's Country.
[signature]
The 5/6 wt rod is fine for trout where you're going. You mention Summer- I haven't fished for stealhead and salmon in that area but I doubt there are significant #'s of those species to be found there most of Summer. Wait until you get there and if you stay until those runs do begin get the 8 wt then. The addition of an inexpensive sinking tip as mentioned to a beginning combo could work out. I've gotten 8 wt lines for salmon fishing on sale from Orvis for as little as $20 but those bargains only come around once in a while. If you stick with salmon and stealhead fly fishing you will undoubtly upgrade your equipment later when you have a bit more money. Your first purchase can be a back up or used if you're introducing someone else is to the sport.
[signature]
I also pulled out my go to stealhead outfit last week. Had a killer weekend Caught a seelhead every cast. Arm got tired after 2 casts though Fly gets in the current and about pulls you in. Also be careful on the backcast I forgot to look back and put a dent in the F&G's truck. Must have made him mad. He Drove off with my setup before I could unhook it.Here's a pic of my setup. [Wink][Wink]

[inline IMG_0336.jpg]
[signature]
LMAO That is too funny!!!! Can't wait to see you guys.
[signature]
now that is funny... too bad they took your rig away from you..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[left]If you are going to be right on the salmon, then steelhead will likely be your main focus. Check out this video made by a couple buddies. Its what steelheading up on the salmon is all about.

[font "Garamond"][#bf0000]Sorry links that leads to a fishing site that include a forum are not permitted.[/#bf0000][/font]
[signature]
i mostly agree with your diccision but i would steer away from the combo phluger makes several reliable but inexpensive reels..ive personaly watched several reels that come with this combo lose there drag system and just plain fall apart..ive had aphluger for 4 years now i mainly use it for salmon this kind of fishing is tough on equipment..but its still holding up fine..[fishin]
[signature]