Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Does Strawberry Need?
I was up there and noticed a bunch of chubs and crawfish in the water. I keep hearing that the chubs are out of control. What does this lake need? Does anyone know how warm the lake gets in the spring thru the fall? Is it warm enough to put muskie or something like that in it? What about Lakers? Or Splake? What should the DWR do to remedy this? I heard they poisoned this lake in the past and it was a waste of time and money. I heard they would never poison this lake again. What other fish could they put in it to curb the chub pop?
[signature]
I vote for brown trout. Just my $.02.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
This kinda question has been debated many, many times at [url "http://www.Utahonthefly.com"]www.Utahonthefly.com[/url], they wouldnt stock muskies, pike, Tiger muskies, and walleye in strawberry because those species of fish will almost always prefer a nice plump trout/salmon over a chub. Its to cold for Smallmouths to get very big, so they just spread throught out the lake and stunt. Lakers would eat the kokanee salmon more then chubs, Brown trout are already present in the res. and they offer no real solution, stocking splake in the lake idea has be tossed back in forth by the DWR, but they don't beleive splake would only eat chubs, so they would impact the rest of the fishery aswell. The only real solution the DWR sees fit is to get alot of 18+ cutts ( mainly fish eaters) through out the lake to feed on the chubs, hence the special regs this year.
[signature]
Hey FF, good to see you bro!!! Where ya been?
[signature]
Wow .. I hope they find something to help it. Does anyone know the temp of the water in the warmer months? I went up there Saturday and the temp was in the 70s.
[signature]
I'd say about $1.00 A CHUB would be the most cost effective way to get them under control. The pikeminnow on the Columbia River was eating all the fry of the salmon and steelhead and the pikeminnow reward system was implemented and has been a GREAT sucess.

Check it out $4.00 a fish [url "http://www.pikeminnow.org/"]http://www.pikeminnow.org/[/url]

Could Utah ever try something that might work other than changing the regs?

Personal needed to implement the system - ONE PERSON at the Strawberry Information Center - you check in - you check out with the $$. IT"S EASY!! And guess what they aready have this person there...
[signature]
I've been here Teroy, mainly just reading posts, I havent been out fishing as much as I used to so I havent had much to post about. But hopefully i can get out fishing some more and let you all know how i do.
[signature]
The one thing I have always said they need is not so much more regulations, but more enforcement of the current regs.

One idea I had to help bring down the chub population would be to bring a few scout troops up there and have a chub competition. One point for each chub caught, minus one point for each trout kept. Then arrange with a few local sponsors for some kind of nice prizes as incentives.

Kind of like a BSA Annual Chub Fest day at Strawberry.

Along with it, perhaps they could have a conservation officer give an orientation / class on protecting the resources and using them wisely. Boy Scouts are at the best age for that kind of teaching.
[signature]
Now that would be a great program!!!!! getting paid to fish!!!! What a great 2nd job![Wink]
[signature]
I like that idea!!!
[signature]
That would probably be more popular than when Powell used to have their million dollar fish competion
[signature]
The only problem with having a boundy on chubs is that you will end up paying for it. Consider this where do you think the money for this program will come from? It will come from a huge license increase that will make you complain more about that increase then those chubs.

I'd say the DWR needs to impliment more restrictive limits on the size and numbers of fish that can be taken in these lakes that have chub problems. The only problem is that they don't or can't do some thing like this until the problem is out of control and then you're looking at killing of the lake and starting over or hoping that the bigger fish slot will help control the problem.

It's seems like most of the people here have experienced some of this over population of a "trash" fish. If you feel so strongly about helping out the fish or a certain lake go to your local rack meeting and get involved. Don't just sit their and complain and talk to each other about what you could do, DO IT.

just my 2 cents.
[signature]
Just another thought. They should make all the trout in the Berry part of the slot limit so people can't make the arguement that I didn't know it was a cut or hybrid cut. It makes more fish big enough to eat chubs and still have enough for some to eat and of course a possible trophy.
[signature]
You may be right. But why not dispose of the fish for profit. Fertilizer! I had a great uncle who made a fortune during the dustbowl days disposing of the decaying fish and creating fertilizer. Why not give it a whirl now days.
[signature]
What they should just do is trap the chubs and take them to Starvation. If it were legal, I could use a herring rig from Oregon, and catch 8 of them at a time. Then put them into a transport, and away they go. Also, if they just put in more Browns, the chub pops. would go down. They can tollorate warmer waters in the shallows, where the chubs hang out.
[signature]
I don't think we need to move any chubs anywhere, that just compounds the problem. They need to fix the problem on Strawberry. If it means bringing in some big browns then it needs to happen. But with the DWR it will be anotherr 5 years before they decide what to do. By then you'll be pulling out 10-20 chubs for every cutthroat....oh wait a minute isn't it that way already?
[signature]
The DWR its self is asking for anglers to keep their limits of Bass and Walleye out of Starvation since the forige base is in jeopardy, so why not take a problem from one place, and make it a god send in another? Adding one more base in that lake would help the Walleye and Bass populations to expand, and they would grow alot faster with a few larger chubs in there to fatten them up.
[signature]
OK, we all have good ideas on what needs to be done we just need the DWR to see our points of view. The give a good plan that will make everyone happy.
[signature]
Transplanting fish isn't a sollution because of the disease factor. Starvation needs another forage type of fish to take the pressure of the chubs but the DWR don't want to introduce a non native fish any place in Utah.

Sounds like somebody needs to Email tom P. and get some info.
[signature]
Adding more Chubs from Strawberry into Starvation would not add any kind of disease to it. If my streams are not mistaken, isn't the one that feeds Starvation the Strawberry River? Since it runs right from Strawberry to Starvation, Starvation is already getting chubs that way. What I am saying is just to make it on a much larger scale, and take a heck of alot more of them to starvation, solving the two problems at once. Reveiw your maps again, or get drugs for the alztimers, cuse you defenetly need it.