Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crawdads!!!
Anybody have any tips for catching crawdads at Starvation this time of year?

Thanks!

Senkonate
[signature]
strip of bacon on a small leadhead ( bacon floats ) leave it in for a while and you can pull out several at a time

chris
[signature]
If Anglers Inn is still open in Riverdale you can buy some crawdad traps for 40% off, they had 5 or 6 left last week. WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the help guys!!
[signature]
W always used a chicken bone. Once those critter get a hold of that they usually won't let go. We plucked lots & lots that way.
[signature]
One of the best places to catch crawdads at the Starv is right under the boat dock.

Good Crawdad Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I've used chicken bones at Flaming George. At first we were using the chicken meat from a bucket of KFC, but when we ran out (those crawdads tear it up pretty fast) we just started using the bones, and surprisingly it worked even better than the meat. It smelled just as good to them, but they couldn't tear it up. That's what I'd reccommend.
[signature]
These folks do give great info on this site [Smile]

The boat dock is a great place for mudd bugs - in fact we have caught some huge bugs using raw chicken on a string - drum sticks worked great.

Have your bucket of ice water ready to put the prey into because they will flush their fecal duct (?) when placed in ice water.

Also, don't forget the corn on the cob, lemons, spices, and the BUTTER.

[cool] Fall is coming and that means COOL weather and good fishing..
[signature]
One thing we learned in our last mud bug experience was if you have a crawdad trap put this little thing in it!!! You know that little white pad "absorbing pad" they put under packaged meat, throw one of those in there, or simply just put it in the general area you are working for crawdads!!! it releases all of the meat juices it has soaked up in the water and brings crawdad from miles away!!! We never even thought of this until we ran out of chicken gizzards and looked at the empty package and seen that white pad soaked in chicken blood and juice!!! We went from spotty crawdad catching to crawdad central!!!!
[signature]
Yes we did, until we almost go thit by lightning then we were outta there, and it sucked to because the 'dad fishing was just picking up!
[signature]
I also hear that there are tons of these little critters in the berry. Iv' never tried to catch any of them but I am planing a trip up there with my dad in a couple of weeks and have thought about picking up on some of the action. Does anyone know how you are supose to transport them and how to clean and prep them to cook?

"THE TIME SPENT FISHING CAN NOT BE DUDUCTED FROM A PERSONS LIFE"

Snagd.
[signature]
The best way of transportation of crawdads is on ice... If you are intending on catching a bunch of "dads" have a cooler full of ice ready to put the crawdads in while catching them. Lundmans post saying that crawdad excretes a bodily fluid that ruins them for eating is true, this is in water. I have also heard that if you let a crawdad die in just a bucket of water, dont eat them. But putting them on ice, preserves them nicely. You will get tons of different ways of cooking crawdad on here and how to prepare crawdads. It is completely up to the conesour. I personally enjoy getting crab boil seasoning packets from you local grocer, boil the crab boil packet in water and dumping the crawdad in till nice and reddish orange color. Eating:, most meat is in the tail, if you can get some decent size claws, there is good meat there. And they way the do it in the south is pop the tail off and suck up threw the body cavity, but to each persons liking!!! I like to make fetticini alfredo, and put dozens of crawdad tails in that. Crawdad tail scampi is always good, and tube dude will have some good recipies for that!!! There is some info, alot of work for alittle meat!!!!
[signature]
From the Utah DWR...

[#660000][size 4]Crayfishing for fun and food[/size][/#660000]

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/crayfish.html"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/crayfish.html[/url]
What fluid are you talking about? I have never heard of any type of fluid that is released into the meat after capture. Please enlighten us to what you have learned about these critters. I have eaten tons of them so far and maybe I am putting my life in my hands!
[signature]
Gumbo, Thanks for the link and the article. It is very infromative.

Snagd [Smile]
[signature]
Hello there Snagd,

Utah law forbids the transportation of live crayfish. They must be killed where they are caught to prevent their being introduced into waters where they are not wanted.

Because crayfish meat deteriorates rapidly, it is important to ice it quickly and keep it at a temperature of 40 F or below until processed.

I found this on the DWR website. Hope it helps.....BC
[signature]