Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
knots
what kind of knots do you guys use to tie your hooks on?

joe
[signature]

Hey there DH_tubinjoe,

I now exclusively use circle hooks (no ring) and I have had very good luck with the double cinch knot or Trilene knot AFTER I switched from Ande to Izor line. Haven't seen a pigtail in months! Finesse Oh yes Finesse! heh heh heh

Line to line... I love the improved blood knot.

Truth is... I actually believe the best yank and crank hooking knot/hook combo for live lining bait is the J hook and the palomar knot.

JapanRon
[signature]
i havent ever used the palomar knot. i hear very good things about it. im going to switch over see how many more fish that i catch.

except for on my jigs. i use a double san diego clinch knot. strong strong strong strong!!!

joe
[signature]

Hey there DH_tubinjoe,

Ya.. the palomar keeps that loop for the eye of the hook to swing free thus, as we know, little fishy swims more naturally and stays lively longer.

I believe the Double San Diego Clinch Knot is the same as the San Diego Jam Knot. I guess the offshore guys used it first and after that......

I would like to try something. I'm making an attachment with a MS Word document named doc1. Can you access the file automatically on your end. If you have MS Word, I think you can. Others may like what's in the attachment.

JapanRon
[signature]
99% of the time a palomar quick to tie near 100% knot streagth when i'm fishing lures in stained water such as lakes i might use a prefection loop just so i don't have to retie knots so often
[signature]
Depending on the type of fishing that I am doing I will use a different knot.

I like the palomar for dropshotting. It is the most effective for that type of fishing and hold the worm or little fishy in the swimming position.

Most other types of fishing I will use the cinch knot or the fishermans knot.

When it comes to useing spyderwire, I find it best to use the Trilene knot.
[signature]
Let me jump in here JapanRon. This might interest you. Jed Welsh the 95 year old angler says that he was tying the so called Trilene knot when all there was to tie, was cat gut. I can remember as a kid Whitey Ashley teaching me the Miller Knot (Trilene) before Trilene was around, in fact about 30 years before.Jed was fishing our waters in the early 1900's.
I'm convinced that the Palomar is the best but wastes a ton of line, especially when you tie it to a leader that you don't want to get shorter than it is. Lately for the 30 to 50 pound test I have been using a Loop Knot. For splicing a dropper above the sinker aka white sea bass, I have been using a Surgeons Knot, Spider Hitch, or a Barrel Knot depending on the test line. The tough one to tie is lead line to monofilament in the field. A real simple knot for this is a Huffnagle Knot. Yes knots are a way of life with we anglers but the absolute toughest time ever was when overseas (Okinawa) all the available japanese hooks had no eyes. I got very good with the Snelling Knot.
[signature]
the long tag end on a palomar knot is its only draw back i see other wise i'm not sure there is a faster stronger knot you can tie
[signature]
ron...

that is just the regular san diego clinch. the double san deigo is when you just simply double over the line and do it. so you are doing the same knot just with twice the line. the only weird thing about this knot is that you have 3 tag ends. its a trippy thing to look at. but exremely strong!

joe
[signature]