Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach...last stop 10-30-14
[#0000FF]Four of us tubing and tooning types did some early trick or treating at Lincoln Beach this morning. There was myself, Highndry and his son Daniel and Waljustia. We got dressed up in our fishermen's costumes and went out to see if we could score some goodies.

Air temp at 8 am launch was just over 30. TDC. Water temp 49...about 12 degrees cooler than the last time we hit it on October 10th. The fish didn't seem too happy with the downturn either.

We had hoped to try to find at least one walleye among the four of us. Mission not accomplished. And the throng of wallie waders off the rock shelves had all but disappeared too. We must not have gotten the word.

We did catch a few cool cats. But we had a lot more hits than hookups. In the cold water those chilly kitties were very tentative. And when hooked they didn't fight nearly as well as they do when the water is warmer.

I was admiring the true fisherman spirit shown by Glenn's son, Daniel. He drove directly down to the lake after getting off an all night work session. But when the fish were showing no love Daniel made the best of it by laying back in his tube and catching some Zs. Did a fine job too.

The carp catching group (Loys) were busy on the lake this morning. They spent some time out off the mouth of Benjamin Slough. Then they roared by us on the way to Goshen Bay. First the airboat guy...nice and quiet...yeah right. Then the big boats that hold the nets and the carp. Hope they did better than we did.

On my way to Lincoln Beach from Spanish Fork early this morning I found myself in a line of cars. I mistakenly believed that fishing was good and the word was out...and that everybody was on the way to a fish frenzy. Not. Turns out there was a big gathering at the county park...with signs "Base Parking". Not sure what it was about but the smells of their breakfast cooking just about coaxed us to put up our tubes and go see if we could "blend in".

Not our finest day on the water but definitely better than almost anything we could have been doing at home...or work. Sadly, both Glenn and Dave had to go to work after our noon checkout. Didn't fill up our trick or treat bags but a good had was timed by all...or whatever.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TubeDude, thanks for the fun as always! Its hard to go wrong with the scenery and company of Lincoln beach. Even the Loys cruisin by doesn't dampen the mood.

Also, as I drove out of there I noticed a name on the side of one of the semi trucks in the parking lot. "LDS Motion Pictures" or somthing like that. I should have went down there and asked them if we can fish the knolls. [sly]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Shoulda...woulda...coulda. Story of life. Wonder if they are making a sequel to the current "blockbuster" in the theaters..."Meet the Carp".

Always great to have you along. Last trip you were pretty good at providing the entertainment...with your unsynchronized "swimming". Yesterday we got to play "count what I forgot". Appreciate you keeping things fun and interesting. Although I was wondering if you planned to go all the way to Bird Island. Not a good place to be if the wind decided to blow. Glad you found a few fishies out there.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Pat what's with the title is this one your last Lincoln trip of the year? Heading back to Starvy or Willard? Hope I can get out tomorrow, but I gots to drop off my last load of apples to the press and it sounds like storm later in the day. So may not make a trip this week, Howz that for a Halloween scare? I don't like scary stuff like that very much. Thanks again for the report, sounds like the cats will start getting tougher to catch, but that's on par for what I usually see this time of year. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]I say I won't be fishing it again this year...but depending on how soon things freeze up and other factors I may just wander down there again.

My fish bucket list for the remainder of the year includes Willard, Pineview, Starvation, Deer Creek...and ???

Always scary to face a week without fishing. Talk about the living dead. Fishing zombie.

Yeah, catfishing as we know it is about done for the year. But I have caught them right up until the big freeze, and even from beneath the ice. Channel cats remain active and feed all year. They just slow down a lot and feed less. Not much of a fight when you hook a cold cat either.

Hope you get rid of all that silly responsibility stuff soon so you can go fishing again...if Mama Nature settles down fer a spell.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm in hopes that after this weekend I'll be about done with summer responsibilities, but everytime I think that something else comes up... Hope to fish more next weekend Friday at least... Hope the weather will be kind.... Glad you get out and get me a story at least to live vicariously through anyway... Thanks J
[signature]