Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge Trout on Lipless Cranks?
I was out on a local pond today trying out a few early spring bass tactics and I had a hit on the first cast. I was super stoked!?!! It was a good fight and as soon as I got it to the bank it turned and I was blown away. I could not believe it. It was a huge trout on my lipless drank.

Has this happened to anybody else? I never thought a trout would hit a bright, loud, noisy crankbait.

I atached a few pics for the no believers.

Keep em wet!
[signature]
Why sure trout will hit them. They are minnow immitations, right?
I know lots of bass guys that get pretty frustrated while tournament fishing at the Gorge and keep getting tormented by 'bows and browns instead of smallies while throwing cranks. Personally, I never use them because I just have zero confidence in them. However, if Rapalas catch trout, why wouldn't other crankbaits?
I'm just too stuck on jigs for trout, which of course, catch plenty of bass as well!
[signature]
Very true they are imitations but I just thought the noise and action would make them spooked.

Good to know this may happen again, I didn't mind bringing in that big trout!
[signature]
[quote 14gills]Very true they are imitations but I just thought the noise and action would make them spooked.

Good to know this may happen again, I didn't mind bringing in that big trout![/quote]

Rainbow trout don't get enough credit for being predatory. They will absolutely chase down minnows and other baitfish especially if they are overly abundant.

They also love crawfish and lipless baits do a good job of imitating a craw too. If you can get it to nick the bottom every so often it creates even more sound and vibration.... trout love crawfish scooting across the bottom[Wink]

You'd be surprised how well these lures work through the ice too!
[signature]
Trout gotta eat too.
[signature]
Oh yeah, I've had crazy days in the fall burning lipless cranks across weedy flats with big bows just clobbering them. I catch a lot of incidental trout while bass fishing. This one took a big deep diving bass crank (Jackall Muscle Deep 10+)

[inline "goodbye big fellow small.JPG"]
[signature]
OH YEAH they love it. What you can catch bass on trout will take too or vice versa. Nice catch!
[signature]
I caught a 41/2 bow on a buzzbait fought good for a moment then went limp when I got it in the hook had ripped a big hole right through the top of its head no catch and release there [crazy][crazy]
[signature]
I purposely throw 1/4 chrome/blue rat-l-traps at Strawberry in the fall and catch plenty of nice trout. Certain areas of Jordanelle I expect trout instead of bass. A lake I used to fish in California was notorious for this as the trout would not leave your lipless cranks alone.

Caught a very nice rainbow at Deer Creek on a 3/8 oz spinnerbait. A 4lb rainbow at Jordanelle on a white Senko. Another 3lb rainbow on a drop shot. And have caught some nice Browns on jerk baits.

HM
[signature]
Bows love the emerald green and blue holographic #5 rattlin rapala's , every where I fish for trout I troll them and catch bows and cutts . They lovem and this is not new to me, been doing it for years.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
We have a lake here in Southern UT that we fish exclusively with traps...gold ones to be percise. The bows love them, and so do the wipers! Smile

-Rich
[signature]