Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery option for Kick Boat
[quote schiff]I have a Scadden Assault kick boat.
I never use a trolling motor, but on a couple overnight trips a year, I have to do a 2.5 to 3 mile pool on the river, right at the very end to take out. Rowing this section is slow to say the least and I am usually tired after 2 days fishing.
I am wondering if I could use a wheel chair battery to run my 35# elec. motor for an hour or 45 minutes at the end of the trip to get through this section? Would give an extra hour fishing too. I know there is a formula to figure out run time. Just wondering if anyone uses a small battery for short run situations?
Any input, opinions or thoughts are welcome...thanks.[/quote]

Battery ratings are usually stated for absolute perfect warm conditions, and at low 20 hour rate (about 1.6A on a 33 amp hour Werker). The capacity will be considerably less under cold conditions (maybe 50% loss below freezing) and if used continuously at maximum power (maybe 30% loss at 30 amps for a 30# troll motor). Also the cold decreases thrust rating and as the battery discharges thrust decreases (the last 20% capacity mostly not usable). If you have to continuously fight head Winds, Waves or Currents in the open water section at full power, a small battery may not be enough.

If you can plan your trip at a time and on a route where you don't fight temperature and WWC, a small lead battery may work well enough. Your boat should be able to easily carry a heavy battery and troll motor. If your battery weight considerations are because of lifting issues, you might consider a lithium 12v battery which would weight 25% of the lead types for the same capacity, but the cost will be much more.

Hope this helps.

PM
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Battery option for Kick Boat - by schiff - 02-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Re: [schiff] Battery option for Kick Boat - by pontoonman - 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM