Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Lithium for the Tube
[quote MasterDaad]It's time to replace my tube battery. I also want some new RC airplane batteries so I'm going to go back to some previous experiments using Lithium-Ion Polymer batteries for my float tube.

My average tube trip consumes 20mAh of battery capacity. So to achieve that and a little extra, I'll be carrying 6 of these:

[url "http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/3s-lipo/25c-5000mah-3s-trx.html"]http://www.valuehobby.com/...-5000mah-3s-trx.html[/url]

3S lithium Ion batteries have very similar voltage ranges as a 12V Lead Acid battery (12.6V fully charged, 9V dead).

They don't have "memory", are suitable to full discharge but are vulnerable to damage if over-discharged.

A big advantage is the weight of the 30Ahr Lithium battery will be about 5lbs.

Handling any current lithium ion technology requires proper safety measures (so do Lead Acids). Samsung demonstrated this in spectacular fashion. I will post pictures of my set up and safety measures I use.[/quote]

MD,

Very interesting project, keep us posted.

I take the lazy way out and use existing high capacity lithium batteries and chargers meant for cordless lawn tools on some of my high power requirement projects. There are other advantages to doing it that way besides getting to be lazy.
The battery usually includes thermal, overload, over discharge and over recharge chips for safety plus a fuel guage which lets you know how much power you have left. Also, a satisfaction warranty (90 days at HD & Lowes) helps if they fail too soon and they can be exchanged quickly at these stores which are everywhere. The lithium battery pack voltages on high power lawn equipment are usually above the typical 12v for troll motors though, so I have to use other ways to make it work.
I think TD does have a good point, especially about the lower voltage. The 12.6v full charge on the lithium paks I use very quickly drops to rated 11.1v where it remains fairly flat for maybe 60% of its capacity. That means considerably less thrust than you would get with a standard 12v battery. You can solve this by going up to the next pack size which adds one more cell.

Hope this helps.

PM
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Going Lithium for the Tube - by MasterDaad - 02-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Re: [MasterDaad] Going Lithium for the Tube - by pontoonman - 02-25-2017, 02:20 AM