Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Crappie Jigs and setups
WH2, wish this forum had instant e-mail notification of replies to posts. It's never worked in the past. I never knew you did well with the lures I sent you and assumed they either weren't used or didn't catch fish. Good to hear they worked well.

As far as lures go for catching any fish species, the link WH2 referred to contains information any angler, no matter experience or age, can catch fish and use those lures to find fish in the first place.

In my experience over the last eight years, I've discovered lure related elements that have greatly increased my annual catch rate - even in water near 40 degrees. They are:
grubs and soft plastics that are rigged on unpainted ball head jigs between 1/32 and 1/8 oz.

lure length never greater than 2 3/4" and 1/4" or less in diameter

grubs designs as pictured in the post mentioned for the best imparted action (curl tail and shad tail grubs not capable of a range in presentations or speed)

thin fluorocarbon leader - 4-6# test attached to braid

light action rod with decent backbone to cast distance and get solid hook sets at those distances (the line combo mentioned accommodate that)

Fish location discovery of course is easier with more casts using the right lures at a slow rate of retrieve - First and foremost the most important advice I can give to those who cast and retrieve lures any time of year.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Favorite Crappie Jigs and setups - by Squarehog - 03-08-2017, 12:59 AM
Re: [wiperhunter2] Favorite Crappie Jigs and setups - by SenkoSam - 03-13-2017, 02:32 AM