Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba report -- Catching wipers!
This is a quote I pulled off another State's web site and it reflects my understanding.

"Hybrid striped bass, like many hybrids, experience great difficulty reproducing naturally. Eggs and sperm produced by hybrids are usually weak or improperly formed. The same is true of any fry that might be produced by chance fertilization. For this reason, hybrids are considered “functionally sterile,” and their populations are totally dependent on repeated stockings."

My understanding is that documented success had been observed when they spawn with either Striped Bass or White Bass, but both of these spawn at overlapping but different temperatures so it occurs only very rarely. (White Bass spawn around 54 to 68 degrees, Stripped Bass spawn around 65 and up, Wipers seem to try to spawn around upper 50's.

Wipers have been created (hybridized) for a long time and no cases have been documented ever of them starting a self sustaining population. Not even once.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Yuba report -- Catching wipers! - by kentofnsl - 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Re: [WBestF] Yuba report -- Catching wipers! - by Anglinarcher - 04-22-2017, 06:19 AM