Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Utah Lake worth saving?
TubeDude provided the attached article recently, it is a MUST READ!

[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
Now,at the risk of getting myself in trouble, oh well............
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
Got a story for you. In Northern Idaho there is an HISTORICAL MONUMENT that talks about the first white explorer to see the area, and how he observed the local Indians that were catching "Carp" and preserving them for the winter.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
Now, which is it, are “Carp” native to the US or were they introduced in 1831 as a foodfish by the United States Fish Commission? History apparently tells us both. I am sure the historical monument is wrong. But, it is written and a great deal of people in the future will believe it. I suspect that the European explorer, not familiar with native species and more familiar with his own species, called it a Carp. It was likely what we now call Northern Pikeminnow, previously called “Squawfish”.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
So, what does this mean to us”? Early reports of Trout, especially Cutthroat Trout, may have been in error, just as the explorer was. Just writing what you think you see does make it so. But, think about how the future will look at us. After all, reading the National Enquirer, an “Historical artifact” to the future, will tell of Alien abduction, Alien encounters, ……… never mind, but I think, I hope, I have made the point that history is pretty vague.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
Still, let’s assume that there were Cutthroat Trout in Utah Lake. The assumption is that they were Bonneville Cutthroat. I contend that what we call Bonneville Cutthroat Trout would never have been able to handle the water temperatures that would have existed. TubDude posted a great article recently, by a reputable scientist, that explains that Utah Lake has not been deep in 1000’s of years and it has not been “clear” either. The same article tells us that the Nitrogen and Phosphorus is quickly neutralized by the natural chemistry of the lake.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
It is possible that a specific strain of the Bonneville CT did exist, just as a specific strain of Cutthroat developed in Nevada’s Lahonton or Pyramid Lake Cutthroat Trout. The Lahonton has developed a tolerance for alkaline waters that few fish have. It is adapted to large prey and large bodies of water, but it has a close genetic relative that lives upstream and eats bugs and small fish, the Humboldt Cutthroat. The Humboldt cannot handle the alkaline waters, does not grow to a large size, has a shorter life span, and in no way is Confused with the Lahonton, but it is a relative, probably just a strain that stayed in the upstream colder waters instead of migrating downstream once hatched.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
The Humboldt is to the Lahonton as the current Bonneville CT is to the “Extinct” Trout of Utah Lake. It is highly unlikely that today’s Bonneville CT could ever adapt to the NATURAL temperatures of UL.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
Now I am all in favor of improving Utah Lake, and I support all reasonable and pragmatic efforts to “save” it, but let’s look at this through the prism of reality, not the rosy glasses of wishful thinking. Unless you find a time machine, and can get the original Trout from UL to plant back, we will never be able to restore it to the original state.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
Ironically the Lahonton could be a substitute that would work in Utah Lake. I lived in Washington State and fished Lake Lenore, a transplant success of note. That lake gets as warm UL, as well as Sprague Lake, another place where Washington State has transplanted Lahonton CT from Lenore. (Sprague Lake is in a desert environment, a depth of only 17', it has an Algae bloom every year and no one even thinks about it)
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
I want the carp out of UL, but it will never completely happen. I want native vegetation back into UL, but in reality, with the carp, I would be happy with Milfoil. [#ff0000](DON’T take me seriously on this one, I don’t think I would like the view from behind bars!).[/#ff0000] I want more water in UL, but as the article pointed out, even if every drop of water went into it, UL still suffers from low water periods.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
What I really want is an IQ test requirement for politicians! If that was a legal requirement, then perhaps our country would survive the future.
[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
OK, I have had my say, now let the fiery darts start. I deserve it. LOL

[fishin]

[font "Times New Roman"]
[/font]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by TubeDude - 09-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Re: [Fishrmn] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by Fishrmn - 09-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Re: [UThunter] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by Anglinarcher - 09-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Re: [BHuij] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by T-DOG91 - 09-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Re: [T-DOG91] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by T-DOG91 - 09-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Re: Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by Dirty42 - 09-29-2017, 05:10 PM