Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Utah Lake worth saving?
A few comments directed at various points FWIW.

1. In conversations a couple years ago with a friend (DWR biologist) that was working on the June sucker project, she noted that they already have caught a few Bonneville cutts from the carp nets. I have seen one caught by angler and saw pictures of another. Yes, they probably came from Diamond Fork or another tributary, but they were healthy.

2. Biologists that have studied the Bonneville cutt note that many of the current populations were the descendants of the fish that lived in lake Bonneville. Lake Bonneville drained fairly recently in biologic terms. There is opinion that these fish will do much better than may typically be expected in a suitable lake environment. That could possibly include Utah Lake.

3. When talking to one of the original biologists working on the June sucker project, he stated that one of the possibilities of saving the suckers would be to make a partial impoundment of UL, eliminate other species, and stock with June suckers as a refuge for them. He then surprised me in saying they would then strongly consider putting in the cutts in such an arrangement.

The point is that , while a long ways off, a viable cutt fishery may not be as far fetched as it would seem. I agree that there are several things I would like to see them accomplish first before reintroducing trout in a big way.

4. RE " Let's get serious panfish populations established if possible, like perch and bluegills."

Are you kidding me? Nobody seems to notice or care, but Utah lake is already one of the best bluegill fisheries in the entire state. Since Pelican lake has hit on hard times, I think it is the best lake to catch jumbo gills. Every year, I look forward to the "spring fling" where I can take my kids and catch nice bluegills and crappies to our hearts content. They also can provide fast action through the ice. Perch are in there too, but are involved in a complex food web with crappies, bullhead cats, and walleyes. They will always be there, but probably won't be a dominant species over the white bass, crappies, and bluegills.

The bluegills and crappie thrived in the higher water and the phragmites. The phrag eradication may have some impact on the gills, but they had a great spawn in the flooded weeds this year and do Ok in bulrushes and other waterside vegetation. Improved aquatic grasses earned from carp reduction will only help things.

5. RE"I think if you added largemouth to your list I would agree 100% "

I do assume it is known by the writer that they are already present in fishable numbers. Some of my personal bests have come from there. IMO, the low water hurt them more than most other species there but they should rebound now.

It was the opinion of some of the June sucker biologists that LMB would benefit more than most species with increased aquatic grasses.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by TubeDude - 09-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Re: [Fishrmn] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by Fishrmn - 09-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Re: [Anglinarcher] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by doggonefishin - 09-19-2017, 04:07 AM
Re: [BHuij] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by T-DOG91 - 09-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Re: [T-DOG91] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by T-DOG91 - 09-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Re: Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by Dirty42 - 09-29-2017, 05:10 PM