Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Utah Lake worth saving?
[quote BHuij]Honestly if we're going to sink some money and effort into UL, then I can think of a lot of things I'd like to happen before we try to make yet another trout fishery.[/quote]

I think the thought process here is incorrect. I don't think fisheries biologists / managers think this way. You don't say "Let's make a trout fishery". I think you say "let's improve habitat" and then adjust fish management according to what best fits.

In the case of Utah Lake -- we know that it historically held cutthroat. This is undisputable, regardless of what some anglers opinions are today. It is entirely possible that those cutthroat stayed close to tributaries, but those fish were in Utah Lake -- and pictures show that those fish grew to large sizes.

Can we get things back? I doubt it.

But, again, you don't "put the horse before the cart".

go back and read that resolution again. It doesn't say "make Utah Lake a trout fishery" anywhere in it. It specifically says to "improve water quality" and "remove non-native carp".

Again, I don't understand why anglers (of all people!) get upset when our State starts talking about improving Utah Lake. Removing non-native plant species, removing non-native carp, and improving water quality would be a benefit to ALL sportfish found in Utah Lake! As a group of anglers, we should be supporting this resolution and asking our state representatives to support this! Only good could come from it!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by TubeDude - 09-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Re: [Fishrmn] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by Fishrmn - 09-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Re: [BHuij] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by T-DOG91 - 09-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Re: [T-DOG91] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by T-DOG91 - 09-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Re: [PBH] Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by PBH - 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Re: Is Utah Lake worth saving? - by Dirty42 - 09-29-2017, 05:10 PM