Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield on New Years
Several years ago The chub population was extreme in joes valley. They were using nets and netting large quantities of chub in an effort to reduce their numbers. The problem was Joes valley is a deep lake ,(160" deep) And the introduced slake go deep for much of the year. While chubs stayed shallow. Poisoning was not a real option due to the deep water. That's when they stocked the first muskies. Over the last 5-6 years there has been a very noticeable effect. And cutthroats and large splake are showing up again. While it is not out of the woods yet , I have witnessed an improving fishery, this despite the fact very few trout have been stocked over those years.
Despite the fact that you don't see fishing boats on the camera everyday, I have several friends , as well as myself , who fish it quite often. And while I can get skunked , I can also have a day where I catch a 5lb cut and a 40" muskie in the same day.
The objective of the DWR was to gain control of this water , which is being accomplished , And the muskie has been a big part of that. I suspect you will see more fish species being stocked once again in the coming years as things continue to improve. In the mean time I will enjoy it being a best kept secret Utah trophy lake.
And that is happening because of the Muskie introduction
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Scofield on New Years - by betterthanwork - 01-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Re: [odthefly] Scofield on New Years - by Fishrmn - 01-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Re: [Fishrmn] Scofield on New Years - by odthefly - 01-08-2018, 11:48 PM
Re: [odthefly] Scofield on New Years - by Fishrmn - 01-09-2018, 12:41 AM
Re: [odthefly] Scofield on New Years - by Lonnie - 01-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Re: [Lonnie] Scofield on New Years - by Fishrmn - 01-09-2018, 12:04 AM
Re: [Fishrmn] Scofield on New Years - by Lonnie - 01-09-2018, 12:43 AM