Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return to Lindon 3-20-18
[#0000FF]I hit Lindon (Utah Lake) exactly one week ago. Water temps were about 5 degrees warmer then...50 vs 45 today. That and a cool breeze made me wonder if I shoulda stood in bed instead of trying to get in another trip ahead of the next Mama Nature hissy fit. The bottom line on my sonar looked like a mountain range as I bobbed up and down in the swells.

Air temp was 36 when I launched about 8ish. Cloudy and cool. Didn't get even a sniff casting plastics around the channel entrance rocks. Headed out into deeper water, dragging bait on two rods...one minnow "fly-lined"...another on a new "Gorilla Flig". Figured I would go for contest cats today and not even worry about whities or wallies.

By 8:30 I was a long ways out from the channel entrance and had gotten no love. I was past the 5' depth and approaching 6'. Then it began. First cat was a decent 22 incher. Ten minutes later I caught one that looked about the same size as a "cookie cutter" kitty from Willard. Game on.

I had brought a package of about 15 LHBE minnows, a couple of white bass fillets and a package of carp cutlets. Figured I would have more than enough bait for the slow fish of March. I almost figured wrong. By a little after noon I was down to one strip of white bass meat and two small pieces of carp meat. Ran out of minnows. And that was a good thing.

Had one rod rigged with a plain hook for the fly-lined minnows and two rods rigged with fligs (floating jigs). Caught cats on both colors I tried. One was white with 3 red spots. The other was the old tried and true fire tiger. The kitties liked them with minnows, white bass and carp cutlets. Very democratic today. I even caught a couple of white bass on those big fligs with mega meat on them.

Almost all fish were way off shore...in water between 5 and six feet. But I did get a couple on the way back in...in less than 5 feet. If the weather ever warms up there will be more fish in shallower water.

As I kicked back in...after netting about a dozen feisty kitties...I was chanting "Got ta stretch my string on the first day of spring". Biggest of the day might have been 25 inches. Several two footers. That should be enough to hold me until I can get down and catch some of those 30 inch plus fish that BLK has been staking out for me.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Return to Lindon 3-20-18 - by TubeDude - 03-20-2018, 09:45 PM