Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation - We must be doing something wrong
[#0000FF]Been singing that song for years. Just because YOU are not catching fish does not mean that NOBODY is. I learned that a long time ago when fishing bass tournaments. When most anglers were crying about weather fronts, cold water, murky water, low water, moon phases or whatever there were always a few guys who came in with limits of big fish. They simply figured it out and cashed in.

Starvation is a good example of all the points you made. It is a lake with a lot of shoreline and a variety of structure, contours and fishing conditions over every year. And it can change quickly. What killed 'em last week...or yesterday...may produce nothing the next trip...or may even fall apart later in the same day. It takes a long time and a lot of trips but the more you get to know the lake the more likely you will be to score on any given trip.

Our fly-flinger member GoFish probably knows Starvy as well as most and better than many. And although he chooses the long wand over other gear he probably catches more fish of all species than all but a few other Starvy fans. As evidenced by his reports, he starts earlier and finishes later than most other Starvy regulars too.

That being said, he has the same self-imposed limitations of most of us float tuber types. We make our best guess as to area and seldom pack up and move if our guess does not prove out. Sometimes he splits his day between a couple of areas, but on most trips he toughs it out wherever he starts. If the fishing picks up later, he wins. If not....

But, having fished with Tom...on Starvation...I can personally testify that if there are any fish to be had, he can work out a pattern that will catch fish.

For what it's worth, I got a PM from another BFTer who also lives in Price, that one of his fishing buddies just hit another area of the lake and caught over 25 trout in a day...only a day or so before Tom and his crew did poorly at Indian Bay. It goes like that sometimes. I know. Been that, done there...or however that goes.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [fishnate] Starvation - We must be doing something wrong - by TubeDude - 03-21-2018, 04:29 PM