Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return to Lindon 3-20-18
[#0000FF]I am attaching a pic of the ones I made up recently.
The hooks are 4/0 and the floating heads are large enough to float a pretty good sized piece of fish flesh. I have been making and using smaller ones for quite a few years. But based on past experience with fishing "corkies" and other bait floats for larger cats I decided to try some larger ones.

If you watch many TV fishing shows you will see a few on fishing for large cats in big rivers...and below dams in the fast tailwaters. A lot of those guys actually use a fairly large brightly colored float between their heavy sinkers and the baited hooks. The float both help keep the bait up out of the rocks and add some visual appeal. Cats are a lot more visual than most people think.

Most of the weights I use come from my spinner body molds. I make them in 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 oz. sizes...with and without wire as in the pics. They have a hole down through the center so I can use them like sliding egg sinkers. You can use any kind of weight you want...sliding or not.

I also use my "hanger shot" sinkers...lengths of clothes hanger wire with a loop on one end. They do not snag as much on rocks or weeds.

I have been rigging mostly with a slip sinker, but based upon my experiences with catfish I really don't think much finesse is needed. As hard as they usually take the flig/bait rig you could use a six ounce weight tied directly to the line and the strike would still register. I seldom use more than 1/4 oz. and on most strikes the rod bends down and line comes off the drag on the reel. A couple of hits yesterday...while the rod was in a holder...almost turned my tube around. And a high percentage of the hits turned into fish. Not nearly as much guess work and missed strikes as when dragging bait only.

I know you are a believer in fishing bling beads. These fligs are like BIG bling beads. Lots of visual attraction. I had planned to sample you on a few on our next meetup. Thinking about suggesting a "Gorilla Floatilla" to BLK and other interested parties on Friday the 30th.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Return to Lindon 3-20-18 - by TubeDude - 03-20-2018, 09:45 PM
Re: [Piscophilic] Return to Lindon 3-20-18 - by TubeDude - 03-21-2018, 09:14 PM