Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups?
[quote Anglinarcher]Years ago there was a study done by, I believe, MN. They found that if they wanted more fish KEPT for a specific species that they had to give anglers a "target" to shoot for.

Unlimited and people would catch a few, kept what they wanted, then quit.

Too high a limit was as bad as unlimited.

Set a low limit, and they would of course catch and quit.

But, set a high limit, but an achievable limit, and people would spend more time and effort on the water to catch and keep that extra fish, or few fish, for bragging rights.

How many times have you heard someone at the boat ramp say, ya, I caught my limit; All Smiles, puffed up chest, so tall that their hat touched the sky.

I know that they 8 fish limit is an issue for some, and education is of course an issue with that, but ......

I am not going to drive from Sandy Utah to FG for one day of fishing. I am not going to drive to FG for 8 pups or 8 fish total. In all honesty, I will drive there for C&R but that was not the case when I was younger.

Lake Powell and FG have several things in common, but the biggest one is the distance from major populations centers.

If you expect anglers to keep more Lakers, you have to attract more anglers. The ones that C&R, or the ones that don't keep the 8 fish limit now, are not going to help you. We are set in our ways or have reasons we don't keep more fish. But, you are not going to get the average fisherman from SLC for 8 fish.

Tough problem, and I am glad to see the movement on this, but all I can say is that this is one tough nut to crack.[/quote]

There are campgrounds and hotels/motels there for a reason, we have never done it as a day trip and never intend to. And the limit is you can keep 8 lakers and 3 kokes per person per trip, that's a lot of fish for 2-3 people.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Anglinarcher] how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups? - by fish_hntr - 03-23-2018, 07:29 PM