Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups?
[quote MACMAN]I am intrigued by Bobs canning method. I bought a pressure cooker to can the trout I catch at derbies, haven’t really figured it out. What’s the secret? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The secret is this: there isn't any secret. Just load up the jars with fish, put the lids on, hand tighten the outer rings, cook at the pressure and for the length of time as directed in your pressure cookers owners manual. And be sure to account for the altitude table recommendations on pressure level.[/#800000][/font]

Do you fillet or steak them out? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Both, actually. I filet the fish, remove the skin and most of the bones and then cut the filets into chunks that fit/stack side-by-side (not one on top of the other). I never remove the side bones and leaving rib bones on the pieces doesn't matter either. ALL the bones will be softened/crystalized such that they are edible.[/#800000][/font]

Any cure or smoke before canning? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I've tried a full smoke and a partial smoke before canning and found neither to be acceptable. As to cure; no I have not done any curing before canning. I have added a teaspoon of Lowry's SeasonAll or a tablespoon of Catalina salad dressing for flavor (put it in first).[/#800000][/font][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Now, go back and read my post on Page 2 on how to prepare the fish after it is canned. When mixed as I described in that post and spread on your favorite crackers or between 2 slices of your favorite bread, I confidant you will change your opinion on the culinary value of canned Lake Trout.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]We occasionally make patties and pan fry them as one would do with salmon patties using our favorite salmon patty recipe. But we both like salmon patties. If you're not a fan of salmon patties, then you probably wouldn't like Lake Trout patties either.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
Re: [MACMAN] how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups? - by dubob - 03-27-2018, 01:58 PM