Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups?
[quote sliverslinger]Great info, thank you. Can you recommend what kind of cooker to buy?[/quote]

[#0000FF]I have eaten a lot of canned fish over the years. Some better than others. Started trying it myself a couple of years ago. Have done trout and recently catfish. Don't keep enough of anything else to make up a batch for the canner.

There are a lot of tutorials and videos on the Internet if you plug "canning fish" into your search engine. If you want something more spicy look for one on sardines.

[url "https://www.simplycanning.com/canning-fish.html"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to a general discussion of canning fish. The common thread is to process them for at least 90 minutes at high pressure...and to use good clean new lids so they seal.

Most fish canning recipes are light on seasonings. It is easy enough to season to taste after removing them from the jar. You also don't want to fill the jars with extra liquid. The fish gives up a lot of liquid during the canning process. But you do want the liquid to cover the top of the fish in the jar.

As Dubob suggests, the final product can be used in many ways...in salads, shredded into dips, as the main ingredient in croquettes or patties, etc. Much cheaper and just as good as most commercially canned fish products.

I also got a Presto canner. I can do about a dozen pint jars in a batch. For fish you will not need to can larger than pints...and some folks prefer half pints.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [sliverslinger] how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups? - by TubeDude - 03-28-2018, 11:36 AM