Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield 7/31/18, fishery is not there yet
[quote Joe_Dizzy]If the quality is not there, rough fish will eventually take over.[/quote]

This is why the plan is to utilize hybrids. Specifically wipers. Wipers have shown in other reservoirs (Newcastle and Minersville amongst others) to successfully lower chub and shiner populations. One HUGE unknow with using wipers at Scofield is the elevation. Wipers have never successfully been used at that high of an elevation. This is why the wipers stocked at Scofield are larger than those stocked at other reservoirs. Larger size fish also mean higher costs to raise. So, this trial of wipers could potential cost quite a bit of money. And, it might not work. Thus the concern from some anglers.

[quote Joe_Dizzy]Even the condition of the spawning streams play a huge role. If the stream conditions favor trout - even though not enough to 100% self-sustain - it's better that they favor trout rather than rough fish which are already prone to population explosions.[/quote]

Utah doesn't have many self-sustaining rainbow trout fisheries. In fact, I can only think of 1 off the top of my head -- and it burned up. We don't see rainbow trout fisheries where natural recruitment is a top priority.

Cutthroat, on the other hand, are managed in areas with natural recruitment in mind. However, Scofield is not one of those places. Again, I do not believe the goal is to have naturally recruiting trout at Scofield. I 100% believe in habitat improvements. Don't get me wrong. But the goal at Scofield is to simply provide a viable fishery. This means that stocking is going to be a primary tool used to sustain fish populations.

The question on Scofield still remains: how long do we wait before we utilize available tools with a history of success?

[quote Joe_Dizzy]I'm concerned about this at Lost Creek by the way... the chub density was super high there this past spring (late spring)... wondering if that lake will suffer a similar fate as Scofield.
[/quote]

I don't know much about Lost Creek. It looks like they do stock tiger trout and splake. This is good. I have no idea if it is enough or not. Not knowing the history of the lake, I really have no thoughts on it's future.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Joe_Dizzy] Scofield 7/31/18, fishery is not there yet - by PBH - 08-08-2018, 01:53 PM