Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New boat and Lincoln Beach
Hey good for ya Craig. Just one of MANY things to remember - Those "fish finders" ...... well they don't FIND fish. You have to do that your-own self. But they are pretty good at helping you to NOT find those UL Rock Monsters. Now you got to learn how to think and watch in at least 3 directions at the same time......forward, backwards, and downwards (one eye on the sonar).
I'm sure those sonars have a "shallow warning" you can set. I keep mine set at 2 feet. But best way to decide what to set yours at: see how far your motor lower end hangs below the bottom of your hull when the motor is straight up vertical, then give yourself at least 2 feet more below the bottom of your skeg. Plug that total in as your shallow warning. For example: Hull to skeg = 20 inches + 24 inches of shallow allowance = set shallow alarm for about 3 feet. A bit more if it makes you more comfortable.
Get in shallow, rock infested water (like out at Bird Island), shut down the main motor, trim it up till its just barely in the water, go to your bow mount. Hopefully one of those sonars are attached to the bow mount.

Post up a photo or 2 so we can all know what boat to look for.
Have fun, be safe. [fishon]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool

Messages In This Thread
New boat and Lincoln Beach - by catchinon - 08-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Re: [catchinon] New boat and Lincoln Beach - by Tin-Can - 08-28-2019, 10:10 PM