Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wunnerful Willard 10-16-19
[quote Optimizer]Pat -

Congrats on the Hog! Thanks for showing us the set-up. I spent 4 hours in the afternoon today in the same area you were and I was using fligs. I got totally skunked. I have a fish finder now and saw the same movie you were seeing. There were a lot of sizeable fish in my screen but they weren't interested in offerings.

I might need to try those larger fligs and get some chubs or LBGQE-whatever minnows.
[#0000FF]I was using a small size 1 hook tailed flig. Not the big ones. And I tried several baits...including perch meat and crawlers. Even tried larger chubs and pieces of larger chubs. Only got one catfish on a half of a larger minnow...on a flig.[/#0000FF]

Are you dragging those along the bottom at paint drying speed using your motor or are you doing a cast and retrieve? Are you doing a start and stop, or rod lift?
[#0000FF]Some of my bites came while just slowly kicking along with my fins. Most came while using the electric and doing somewhere under .5 mph. I got a new Minnkota Endura Max...which allows a full range of trolling speeds while using a minimum of battery power. Love it. I keep both rods in my rod tree holder and periodically rock the tube a little to create some motion on the fligs. But most of my bites came on slow and steady.[/#0000FF]

Some of my fligs were sweetened with worm and some with gulp minnow. I was dragging them along the bottom at about 0.9 mph. I had a Smiley blade on one.

Are the late-spawn shad starting to die off and hit the bottom yet? Or has this not started yet?
[#0000FF]I didn't see any evidence of a shad dieoff yet...like gulls and terns hitting the surface a lot. But the water temp has now dropped below 55 and it won't be long until the smallest late hatching shad begin to die and sink to the bottom. That generally happens a lot in November. And that is when using a blue/silver flig with a small minnow gets a lot of votes.[/#0000FF]

Thx. Trent[/quote]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Wunnerful Willard 10-16-19 - by TubeDude - 10-16-2019, 08:28 PM
Re: [Optimizer] Wunnerful Willard 10-16-19 - by TubeDude - 10-17-2019, 11:35 AM