Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wunnerful Willard 10-16-19
"With all the water we had in 2019, what do you think it will bring for 2020 and 2021?"

[#0000FF]Dang it. My crystal ball and my magic wand are both in my Sunday pants...and they are at the cleaners. So I'll just have to guess.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]During the several decades I have been flogging Utah's waters I have fished through several cycles of up and down water years. As a general rule, low water years concentrate the fish more and anglers do well...for a while. But the low water also usually results in poorer spawning and recruitment so we have some leaner years following the good years.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]A high water year, like this past one, is better for fish than fishermen. More water equals more space for the same number of fish...with more widely scattered habitat. So fish may be harder to find in any concentration...although there will always be "fish magnet" areas where water conditions and/or food resources attract and hold fish. And with higher water there is usually more flooded structure to provide spawning habitat and shelter for the young of the year. That, plus more nutrients from heavy inflows makes for an increase in numbers. However, we usually don't start seeing the results on the ends of our lines for an average of 3-5 years. Slow motion benefits.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Looks like it might be another wet winter, plus water levels are still up pretty good from last year. So 2020 (good vision) will likely be close to the same as last year...fish scattered more widely through more water. That means you will have to really pay attention to what each month of the year means for the species you are after. For some that means spring spawning followed by a period of wide-open post spawn feeding...in proven congregating areas. Others spawn later and continue to feed during warmer months...while colder condition lovers go mostly nocturnal in their feeding until the fall cool down.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In short, high water forces you to become a better student of fishyology if you want to enjoy more success. Not a bad thing. If you can do well when conditions are tougher you got it made when it gets better.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]How's that for a lot of tap-dancing blather?[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Wunnerful Willard 10-16-19 - by TubeDude - 10-16-2019, 08:28 PM
Re: [Outfishing13] Wunnerful Willard 10-16-19 - by TubeDude - 10-22-2019, 04:45 PM