Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of auger drill choices . . .
If you google cordless drill reviews you will find literally dozens of similar "studies" that rank cordless drills. The "Top Pick" or 1st place drill is different in every one. I just looked at several and the top cordless drill is Hitachi or Craftsman or Dewalt or Makita or Black and Decker and on and on depending on which "study" you look at. It really becomes a Ford vs Chevy argument on which drill to buy. I have quite a few years of experience drilling holes with cordless drills and I can verify what has been said about getting the drill with the most torque you can afford. Also a key factor is the size of the hole you are trying to drill. I use a 6" auger and can get many more holes per battery than with an 8" auger. As with any drilling in ice or whatever material sharpness is also key. I happen to use a Ridgid hammer drill from Home Depot with 750 pounds of torque and it has drilled hundreds of holes the last few years with no issues. I can usually go all day on one 4.0 Ah battery and drill 30+ holes with that sharp 6" auger unless the ice is super thick. The reason I chose Ridgid? Lifetime guarantee including batteries and yes, they have already honored the warranty on a battery but you must register online when you purchase. And if you haven't figured out yet lithium ion batteries usually cost more than the bare tool. Anyway, that's my$.02
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Speaking of auger drill choices . . . - by dubob - 12-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Re: [dubob] Speaking of auger drill choices . . . - by FishfulThinkin - 12-17-2019, 06:37 PM