Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of auger drill choices . . .
I'm a total newby to the power drill ice auger but you'll need more torque the larger the auger diameter. On top of that smaller batteries for tools don't actually deliver the same power. I got a new Ryobi air pump for $24. I tried it with the 1.6 ah battery and the gauge barely moved. Switched to the 4 ah and it quickly filled my tire. Now I'm not sure if a larger battery pack was your answer as I wonder if you would have overheated your drill even quicker with the powerboost. I assume you did have to set to the drill setting.
From what I've read drills in the 500 in lbs range are probable only acceptable (not ideal) for augers not more than 5 or 6 inches in diameter.
Ignore the one size fits all with torque and augers- that ignores physics. The increase torque needed is probable closer to radius squared than just the linear increase of circumference. If that is correct you need nearly 1000 in lb for an 8 in auger to be comparable to 550 with a 6 inch one.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Speaking of auger drill choices . . . - by dubob - 12-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Re: [fishday] Speaking of auger drill choices . . . - by riverdog - 12-22-2019, 05:03 PM