Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Keeping bait fresh
Good question, and lots of theories.  All of the information you have seen above is "better than most" of us do, and we pay the price.

As for live worms, mealworms, waxworms, even grasshoppers and crickets, keeping them cool, not cold, is a really really really good idea.  For nightcrawlers, 40 to 60 degrees is the best long term temperature, with 50 ideal.  I kept worms as a kid in the garage in a freezer I got off of "shop and swap" on the radio all year set at 50 degrees.  Worms will freeze so having an ice cube in the container against worms is a great way to kill them, but better a frozen dead worm than a smelly oozy one, so I have and will do it again.  There are containers that have a top and bottom compartment so you can put ice in one side and bait in the other and it keeps them perfect.  Mealworms can actually handle higher temperature for some time, but 80 degrees is a bad idea.  TD's use of small thermos type containers sounds perfect, but it might be a good idea to wrap the ice cube(s) in a paper towel and than a small zip lock bag to keep the bait dry.  As for grasshoppers and crickets, keeping them in the shade is normally sufficient, but above freezing is good.

Frozen bait is more difficult.  Gutting?  Well, on a larger bait yes, for sure.  I have wondered about injecting strong salt water into the internal cavities of un-gutted fish before freezing to preserve the quickly spoiling guts, but have not done it.  For smaller bait, I salt first, both sides, let them draw out excess moisture in the refrigerator than vacuum pack and freeze.  I have had excellent results for over a year of storage, often two years.  Hint, I have actually had my best results using "no salt" which is potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride.  

I have also had some really good results by mixing up some super salty ice water in a bucket and putting the live minnows into it.  It dispatches them fairly quickly, they absorb the salt and it removes excess water, the internal cavities seem to take on the salt, and once home, give them a quick rinse, another quick salt dusting, vacuum pack, and a couple of test packages are going on 3 years now.  I will take out a package next summer to see where it has gone.

But, I am also lazy.  I got some huge carp this year, fillet them, salted them, put them in a zip lock, submerged the bags in water to remove most of the air, and sealed them up and froze them.  So far, long COVID months later, they look like they will be ready and ok if I actually need them.

So..........

waiting for the other ideas.

Messages In This Thread
Keeping bait fresh - by Cowboypirate - 09-21-2020, 11:06 PM
RE: Keeping bait fresh - by TubeDude - 09-21-2020, 11:16 PM
RE: Keeping bait fresh - by Cowboypirate - 09-21-2020, 11:34 PM
RE: Keeping bait fresh - by kentofnsl - 09-21-2020, 11:35 PM
RE: Keeping bait fresh - by Anglinarcher - 09-22-2020, 02:48 AM
RE: Keeping bait fresh - by TubeDude - 09-22-2020, 11:36 AM
RE: Keeping bait fresh - by kentofnsl - 09-22-2020, 03:33 PM
RE: Keeping bait fresh - by Mildog - 09-22-2020, 04:39 PM
RE: Keeping bait fresh - by TubeDude - 09-22-2020, 07:06 PM