Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bone-Headed Boaters at the Boat Docks
Lightbulb 
Good stories. I'll share my bone-headed mistakes in hopes it helps someone avoid the same.

1. Got ready to launch at Henry's Lake, but motor wouldn't start. Tried for a few minutes, and then pulled it out and went through my usual trouble-shooting check list. It worked perfectly the day before, so after some thinking, the light went on and I checked the dead-man switch on the throttle. I had bumped the connector with my butt and pulled it out, so the switch was in the OFF position. I now check it every time before I launch.

2. As Rocky noted, the Lund plug is connected with a wire cable, and so far I've always remembered to put it in. But one time I forgot to release the rear straps holding the boat. Got into the water and hit the brake to launch and felt a sharp tug on the trailer hitch and the boat went no where (luckily I didn't bend anything on the trailer). Lesson learned, check the straps when you put in the plug.

3. Once at Strawberry got ready to launch, and the starter would only click. Pulled out of the water and found battery to be dead. Pulled our car battery and used that in the boat for the day (a pain but better than canceling a day on the water). We store our boat at Strawberry, so it's not something I can check at home. I bought a battery tester, and now check the battery at the end of each trip to ensure it's in good health (if it's low, I take it home to charge). I also installed a voltmeter/phone charger for the cigarette lighter. I test the system voltage in the launch prep area so I can address the problem there rather than finding out on the launch ramp.

4. Launched once at Ashton Reservoir with wife in boat. It drifted over an underwater cement piling from an old bridge and got hung up. Didn't want to scratch the bottom anymore than already occurred so wanted to avoid powering off. She got the bright idea to pull out the oar we carry and she used it to push down on the piling while locking her knees on the side. This lifted the boat enough that the current carried it free with minimal damage.

I now do a double check of these things before launching in hopes of avoiding these problems. But I'm sure I'll find new things to forget or new ways to screw up.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bone-Headed Boaters at the Boat Docks - by kandersonSLC - 02-27-2021, 07:41 PM