Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15lb 14 oz wiper caught at Newcastle
(04-25-2021, 03:37 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 01:59 AM)elkantlers Wrote: That should be a new state record.

Previous Record
WIPER 2017 14 lbs. 28 ½" 22 ½" Haydee Bullard Newcastle Reservoir
The guy that caught it did not want to keep it and they did not have a certified scale, so it won't be a state record unless it's for catch and release.

that's not the info I saw.  In fact, the picture I saw was the fish in Cedar City.  Not sure it could have survived the trip to town, then back for a release....

I think it is in the process of becoming the new state record.

(04-26-2021, 12:36 AM)Slabslayer666 Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 09:46 PM)AFDan52 Wrote:       
                  Wow that 's a Pig for sure . So I have a question pertaining to that, What are the Wipers feeding on in Newcastle Reservoir to make them get so big? I wish Willard Bay could grow them like that. Huh
Answer is way the wiper get so big in New castle is because they feed on trout that is in there

well, that isn't entirely true.  The real reason is golden shiners.  That's the whole reason that wipers are in New Castle.  The success of the wiper program at New Castle is why we have seen wipers used as a management tool at at so many other lakes in Utah.  They have done a marvelous job at controlling the golden shiners -- illegally introduced in New Castle many years ago.  Sure, those wipers might feed on a few trout as well.  But shiners and crawfish are the primary food source for those wipers.

The great thing about the wipers is that they have kept New Castle alive as both a trout and smallmouth bass fishery as well. The trout fishing has been fun the last few years, and there are always nice smallmouth there too.

Why can't Willard produce wipers like that?  That's easy.  Predator vs. prey populations.  How many predator species live in Willard?  The balance is out-of-whack.  You might grow some nice fish, but you won't grow slobs.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 15lb 14 oz wiper caught at Newcastle - by PBH - 04-26-2021, 02:15 PM