Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Reservoir 9/4 - Ice Tactics Pay Off!
(09-07-2021, 02:08 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Sounds like a party Brett. Why do you think the different tactic worked better? Were they biting real light? Or was it the fact that you could see them coming so you were ready for the bite?

Thanks Shawn.  It was one of the funnest fishing days I've ever had (helped that I didn't catch any rainbow trout...).  

Seeing the fish and the depth helped for sure.  I could especially see them come up to the jig and/or get the jig down or up to them, just like ice fishing.  The bites weren't super light, especially after I switched to mussels.  I compare the early part of the day to ice fishing before I got a flasher - just throwing and hoping.  Of course, I had to be sitting still for the flasher to really work.  I probably stayed anchored in one spot for 4 or 5 hours and the fish kept coming to me.

I think pound for pound, the carp put up the best fight, but they all fought well.  Definitely fun on an ice rod and I really had to use the drag to avoid busting a line (surprisingly, I caught 44 fish on the same two jigs and that rarely happens while ice fishing).

What are your plans for the elk hunt?

jack of all tackle, master of none

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yuba Reservoir 9/4 - Ice Tactics Pay Off! - by joatmon - 09-07-2021, 03:20 PM
RE: Yuba Reservoir 9/4 - Ice Tactics Pay Off! - by Fritzfishin - 09-07-2021, 05:05 PM