Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Reservoir 9/4 - Ice Tactics Pay Off!
(09-08-2021, 07:18 AM)joatmon Wrote:
(09-07-2021, 08:06 PM)PACMEN Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 04:31 PM)joatmon Wrote: I used nightcrawlers with some success, but things really heated up for the wipers when I switched to mussels.

Yuba is close to home so this would be a good trip for us.
You said you were using mussels.  If you would please share a bit about where or how or what kind.
I'm totally in the dark about em.

I bought the frozen mussels at Walmart (Sam's Choice), cooked but still in the shell (see photo).  I just took them out of the bag one at a time as needed and dipped them in the water until thawed enough to get the mussel out of the shell.  Since I had on a couple of small ice jigs, I had to be creative.  The first couple I just hooked through the Tongue (small darker meat inside the mussel) and let it hang below my jig.  Basically just donated those first few to the wipers.  Then I made an adjustment to hook through the Tongue of the mussel, then took a half hitch around the rest of the mussel to keep it hanging above the jig.  This caused a few deeper hooksets on aggressive bites, but still in the mouth and not in the gills or throat or Tongue.  I had to use forceps to release about half of the wipers caught on mussels this way.  I have tried hooking mussels on with small rubber bands and magic thread the one other time I went wiper fishing, but had neither of those with me at Yuba.

[Image: mussels.jpg]

Thanks I'm gonna give this a try.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yuba Reservoir 9/4 - Ice Tactics Pay Off! - by Fritzfishin - 09-07-2021, 05:05 PM
RE: Yuba Reservoir 9/4 - Ice Tactics Pay Off! - by PACMEN - 09-16-2021, 05:06 AM