Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry today
(09-22-2021, 02:31 PM)rive801 Wrote: Thanks for the report! So you were trolling jigs close to the bottom? Just trying to understand what you meant.

Reading my post I can see why the confusion.

Best catching for me was to cast out let jig settle to the bottom then retrieve by lifting off of the bottom with a 2' or so jig action then letting it settle to the bottom.  As soon as it hit bottom again another jig action.  After a bit you get a feel for the bottom.  As I got closer to the boat it becomes almost a vertical jig bouncing off bottom or just above the bottom.
To do this and feel I use a pretty fast action rod That way I can feel better.  Then on top of that I set the hook if I feel anything.  I figure hook sets are free and then often a hesitant fish takes it on the drop after the hook set.  The fellow that was with me did not do as well working the bottom but I think this is due to his rod being a lot slower action.

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]"Did catch some by cast and retrieve but no where near as many. "[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]By the above statement I was meaning just casting out letting it settle for 1 to 5 seconds and then a retrieve that was higher in the water column.[/font]
[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]As the breeze picked up we had to anchor lock for me to work the bottom. Early on it was just drift.[/font]
[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]We also ran at .8 to .9 Mph for an hr or so just dragging jigs.  We caught fish this way but they were mostly smaller.  The bottom seemed to have consistently larger fish.[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Fellow I was fishing with did better on night crawlers but 95% of the fish I caught were on chub.[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Hope that clears up my muddy pond water a bit.[/font]

Sorry about the above post when responding to rive801. I don't know what that is all about.

Messages In This Thread
Strawberry today - by PACMEN - 09-22-2021, 01:48 AM
RE: Strawberry today - by gofish435 - 09-22-2021, 02:31 AM
RE: Strawberry today - by rive801 - 09-22-2021, 02:31 PM
RE: Strawberry today - by PACMEN - 09-22-2021, 05:01 PM
RE: Strawberry today - by Panchodog - 09-22-2021, 06:24 PM
RE: Strawberry today - by richyd4u - 09-22-2021, 06:53 PM
RE: Strawberry today - by WardDL - 09-23-2021, 04:02 PM
RE: Strawberry today - by PACMEN - 09-23-2021, 08:49 PM