Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Fish Morning at UT Lake 8 20 2022
(08-26-2022, 01:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 03:56 AM)Piscophilic Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 11:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great detailed report and pics. Overall I'd call that a great trip, despite the problems. What is a FLAIT?

A while back TubeDude started talking about FLIGs short for FLoating jIGs. The float is attached to the hook. When I tried a presentation with the float not attached to the hook I wanted to distinguish between them and FLIGs.  I called them FLAITs as short for FLoating baITs. 
At the time Pat had given me some FLIGs to try and I just thought they were different enough to have different acronyms. 

The presentations are very similar.

Thanks for asking.

OK, I thought it was something like that but wasn't sure. If you get a chance, would you post a pic of what they look like?

Here are a couple of pictures I sent Pat when he was writing his article on FLIGS. It was just before he held that training class for those who wanted to use FLIGS.

The float on the first ones is a medium sized wobble-glo (I don't have time or Pat's talent for making things). There will be 8 to 20" of leader above the float, a barrel swivel and then a slip sinker above that. A 3-way swivel could also be used to keep the presentation above the bottom a bit. 

[Image: With-Wobble-Glo-s.jpg]

The next picture is size 0 spin-n-glos. That is the largest size you can buy without a prescription and I use them with larger baits. The 2 hook setup often has a whole white bass head or larger cut chunk on it and then the back hook has just a sliver of WB meat. It was one like that which caught 4 of our 5 WB on the last trip. The aggressive littler buggers often try to bite little pieces off the big baits and then finally find the smaller one with the hook in it. 

[Image: Gorilla-FLAITs.jpg]

Since I fish them mostly at Utah Lake, I choose any color that lights up when a UV light is shined on it. The three color patterns shown are my favorites: (Lime tiger, Clown, and Fire tiger) The right hand wobble-glo is the fire tiger, but it doesn't show up well in the picture. The stinger hooks are usually 1/0 to fit in a WB mouth. The lead hooks range from 4/0 to 8/0 depending on what size baits the fish seem to prefer, which generally follows water temp.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Big Fish Morning at UT Lake 8 20 2022 - by Piscophilic - 08-26-2022, 02:22 PM