Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard...Weather or Not 5-17-23 (PICS ADDED)
(05-18-2023, 02:16 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(05-18-2023, 02:10 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(05-18-2023, 01:40 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I saw very little on sonar today and caught less.  I did see some stacks of fish in the Eagle Beach area but since I got no bites from them I am guessing they were spawning shad.  I know if they were crappies I would have caught some.  Right.
[Image: SCREEN-5-17-23.jpg]
When I looked at your picture of your Garmin I see fish on the down images but there is no sign on your side scan.  Does the side scan show good structures just outside the north marina?

The infrequent "stacks" of fish I saw in Eagle Beach did not always show up on side scan.  For me, it has been better for finding fish on the bottom or close to it.  And, yes, it is useful for seeing "bottom anomalies" (say that fast about 3 times).  I have observed individual rocks, humps and bumps...and even long ridges left over from the dike building days.  And when those things attract structure loving fish, they do usually show up.  It is an interesting show when you pull within range of a rock dike or wall.

I've just bought the 7sc but not yet used it I'm very interested in the dikes and the west corner. 
There are some humps that are hard to locate that I found a few years ago but can not relocate.
As you already know, the deeper the water the wider the sidescan beam.  And in our newly deepened waters at Willard you should have a pretty wide display.  So, by using GPS or shoreline references if close enough you should be able to make a grid to check all "interesting" features in a given area. 

If your system is programmable you might be able to widen the beam for individual searches.  Once you get used to how your system displays, and if you want to also employ down imaging to verify your discoveries, you should get a better picture of the contours. 

Man, I can't believe all the years I fished without sonar...and all the years I got by with some of the basic and inaccurate systems I once used.  One of these days we might come up with systems to rig the right lures and make the casts for us.  But then that would finish taking a lot of the interest and mystery out of our masochistic sport.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Willard...Weather or Not 5-17-23 - by MrShane - 05-18-2023, 04:04 AM
RE: Willard...Weather or Not 5-17-23 (PICS ADDED) - by TubeDude - 05-18-2023, 02:26 PM