Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat
So just to wrap up my questions that started stuff off, this is what I've found out.... One the batteries look great and at $236 vs $105 for my starting battery new from Sam's... I think the Lithium's are going to really take off... The AGM at Sam's was more than my Lithiums, so I went flooded cell for my starting motor and LiFePO4's for the trolling batteries... I got a NOCO 3 bank charger 5amp per bank... Talked to battery Mfg and they verified it was okay to charge with the lower than 20 amps they recommend. They said it will just take longer to charge.. It was really hard to find that little piece of info that wasn't just someone guessing... But their guesses were correct.. The charger is really nice, put it on the 3 batteries and it topped off the starting battery really quick, the Lithiums are only about half charged so far. One point that was brought up during this discussion was how to store your lithium batteries charge wise. Turns out you store your lead acids fully charged, but Lithiums should be stored at 50% charge, that is like 13.15 Volts.. This has to do with where the battery positions electrons and in the Li you want them mid way to keep from degrading the batteries over a longer storage period. They said you should not put a trickle charger on the Lithium's but if they get lower than the 50% then you should charge them back to 50% charge... Charger has two leads for each battery, so will hook it up to each battery and it should just charge that battery... Don't remember what else I asked, but I think I'm ready to try the boat with new batteries and a bow mount motor, so I should get quite the education tomorrow, not to mention slick tires on the truck... Hope we don't have a tale of woe to tell tomorrow night... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat - by SkunkedAgain - 12-05-2023, 09:31 PM