Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat
A huge advantage of Lithium that is not discussed enough is the lack of "voltage sag". Meaning, as a Lithium battery discharges, it maintains over 13v of output for over 90% of it's output range. 

Conversely, conventional lead/acid and AGM batteries experience linear voltage sag, meaning they go from 13.3v, to 13v, to 12.6v, 12.2v, 11.9v etc as they discharge. You have to run your electric troller at higher settings as the battery discharges, to net the same output.

Additionally, you can almost completely discharge a Li battery without damage. On a lead/acid or AGM battery, even a deep cycle, discharge below 50%, and especially below 25%, really starts to permanently damage your battery capacity.

I would also like to STRONGLY disagree that the weight difference is insignificant. I have a 36v 100AH, which is equivalent to three group 31 lead/acid batteries in terms of capacity. A typical group 31 is 60-75 pounds, so we'll just be conservative and say 65 lbs. On a 36v system like mine (three batteries) that's 195 pounds, essentially an average man's weight. My 36v Li weighs 63 pounds. That's over 100 pounds of weight savings. Even in my big 27' Duckworth with a 300 HP Pro XS, it makes a difference. Not to mention the space savings of a single 36v Li, opposite having three enormous group 31's.

The only diSadvantage? Li is more expensive (but the gap is closing) and they're a little pickier about charge temps, but a smart Li charger can factor for that.

Rant over.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat - by BYUHunter - 12-06-2023, 11:01 PM