Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHEN AND WHY .....
I fished Strawberry before it was poisoned and it didnt crash until the DWR reduced planting it for a couple of years prior to the poison. I never caught a chup unless I happened to have a worm or powerbait on my hook. The largest trout (15# rainbow) I have caught out of Strawberry was before the improved it by taking out all those chubs. My biggest fish since have been a 27 in cutt and a 25 in bow. The average size fish is coming up with the slot limit but also a return of chubs for the big fish to eat.

Secondly the DWR knew chubs would return because the water Duschene River drainage) that comes in from the ladders was not treated and their are chubs in it. So even if a few chubs were introduced from fishermen using live bait, most came thru the ladders. That is why the DWR used bear lake cutts (eat fish sooner in their growth cycle) and Kokanee (compete with chubbs for food).

Now if we could just get people not to take home trout from strawbwrry all the time. Lets treat it as a world class fishery NOT A WORLD CLASS EATERY. If you want some trout for dinner go to rockport or one of the other put and take lakes. Or better yet the local supermarket. I personally would like to see a 1 fish over 25 in limit at strawberry. I know, I know we must keep it a family fishery so the kiddies will be able to fish. Well even as a kid I enjoyed catching one big fish alot more than a hundred little fish. My definition of family fishery is I need to be able to take 8 trout home everyday. What a waste. I know that some people eat all those fish and i have no problem with that. But I also know alot of those fish are used around the roses or put in the trash can with freezer burn. With so many "put and take" fisherys why cant we have one TRUE WORLD CLASS FISHERY close to the wasatch front.

Thats enough of my rant for now.

John
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
WHEN AND WHY ..... - by BADFISH - 03-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Re: [BADFISH] WHEN AND WHY ..... - by Shrimpboy - 03-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Re: [BADFISH] WHEN AND WHY ..... - by Shrimpboy - 03-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Re: [BADFISH] WHEN AND WHY ..... - by baetisman - 03-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Re: [baetisman] WHEN AND WHY ..... - by Shrimpboy - 03-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Re: [Shrimpboy] WHEN AND WHY ..... - by baetisman - 03-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Re: [baetisman] WHEN AND WHY ..... - by Bigfishrule - 03-26-2004, 06:33 PM