Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unwanted toolbars
No problem glad to help out. I have just the free version and it works great. The one benefit of paying for the full version is that you can set real-time protection that will keep those spyware cookies and programs from returning. With the free version, I run it every 2 or 3 days to clean off all the spyware. Usually it cleans off 20 to 30 objects every time it scans.

Here's another thing...do you have realtime antivirus protection? If not, I would recommend AVG antivirus. It's free and that's what I use at home and it works great. It has realtime protection. If you need a link to find it let me know and I can find it for you.

Also, make sure both your virus definitions are up to date as well as your Adaware definitions.

You might try an advanced scan with adaware. I scan just files every couple days. Then every week or so I scan EVERYTHING including all the registry. It will usually find a couple more in the registry.

For programs that run at startup, look in the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

or C:\Documents and Settings\<enter your username here>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Another good place to look is in the registry under the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Those are the locations that a spyware would put a link to start it up every time you start your computer. You can look at the registry by clicking on the Start button, then run. Then type in regedit.

Check those 2 locations for entries that you don't recognize as valid programs. DONT DELETE THEM UNLESS YOU ARE SURE THEY SHOULD NOT BE THERE! If you need help identifying them or finding the registry let me know.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Unwanted toolbars - by BEARCLAW - 03-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Re: [BEARCLAW] Unwanted toolbars - by cat_man - 03-31-2004, 05:44 PM
Re: [cat_man] Unwanted toolbars - by BEARCLAW - 03-31-2004, 05:53 PM
Re: [BEARCLAW] Unwanted toolbars - by cat_man - 03-31-2004, 07:12 PM
Re: [BEARCLAW] Unwanted toolbars - by fish4fish - 03-31-2004, 11:56 PM
Re: [BEARCLAW] Unwanted toolbars - by southernman - 04-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Re: [southernman] Unwanted toolbars - by BEARCLAW - 04-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Re: [BEARCLAW] Unwanted toolbars - by BEARCLAW - 04-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Re: [BEARCLAW] Unwanted toolbars - by cat_man - 04-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Re: [cat_man] Unwanted toolbars - by fish4fish - 04-03-2004, 11:08 PM