Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wire setup for Flaming Gorge - Macs
My best sug. for you is to put a dodger/needlefish combo 75 feet behind your downrigger ball about 60 feet down. Then sit back and take in the beauty of The Gorge and enjoy catching kokanee all day. If you see a bigger arc on your finder (you MUST have a good fish finder for The Gorge) You can drop that same rig down about 2 feet from the bottom and pick up an occasional smaller Mack (3-10 lbs.). As far as the bigger Macks and steel line go. Forget It ! Those fish are far too educated for that, and that is 10x as true for the fish in Linwood Bay. Your catch rates will be so low on steel you will start to think those big fish dont exist. Then when you do finally dumb luck hook one, you fight 300 yds. of steel line as much as you do the fish. If you really want to learn how its done, dont buy reels, buy education. Book a guided trip with an experienced guide who knows how to jig for those fish on light tackle.(I would suggest Jim Williams,though he does'nt come cheap and he has about a year + waiting list.) And once you see how its done...Practice,practice,practice. And keep your lip tight about what you know. Its just too hard,time consuming, and expensive to learn.

Nobody who knows how to fish for those fish is going to post it on this message board.

And from alot of the posts about The Gorge I've read on here,people have absolutely no idea what they're talking about ,or, they are purposely trying to steer you in the wrong direction.

My guess is the latter.

Good Luck
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [ElwoodNeedaMac] Wire setup for Flaming Gorge - Macs - by caughtmydink - 08-11-2004, 07:07 AM