Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ice fishing
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Medium Heavy to heavy rods with reels with good drags loaded with 15 lb mono test. You can tie smaller leader with a swivel between at the hook or lure. Just remember to set the drags to the leader strength. Why the 15 lb test? When you're see-sawin' a big fish through the ice, you need line that can handle the abrasion against the ice. I personally prefer 20 lb Fireline. It can take anything the ice can throw at you and come out a winner. Stay away for braided lines. They soak up water, expand in diameter, and freeze up on your reel. Draw backs are expense and knot slippage. Both are easily cured. Have your dad kick out the bucks to spool your reel. Easy right?! Tie your knots at home and add a small drop of super glue to the knot. Try not to get the glue on anything else though and dab off all excess. I have NEVER broken off using this method and having my drags adjusted correctly. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]When it comes to tackle, there's a lot of ways to go. See what the big boys are using and go with that. No use going thru your own learning curve and trying to reinvent the wheel when somebody else already has. You'll save yourself alot of BS, not to mention money. Hope you have the opportunity to hook up on a twenty pounder and I hope I'm close by to enjoy the show![/size][/font]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
ice fishing - by fishboy2 - 10-25-2002, 02:07 AM
Re: [fishboy2] ice fishing - by BearLakeMack - 10-25-2002, 12:50 PM
Re: [BearLakeMack] ice fishing - by road - 10-25-2002, 11:47 PM
Re: [road] ice fishing - by BearLakeMack - 10-26-2002, 01:12 AM
Re: [BearLakeMack] ice fishing - by road - 10-26-2002, 01:37 AM
Re: [road] ice fishing - by BearLakeMack - 10-26-2002, 05:13 AM
Re: [BearLakeMack] ice fishing - by road - 10-28-2002, 02:32 AM
Re: [BearLakeMack] ice fishing - by davetclown - 10-26-2002, 07:25 AM