Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do?
There was one occasion that we had actually tied on line to another reel and kept on fighting.

It wasn't but like a 3/0 size penn we were fishing with that day. We had a live Pinfish on the bottom, just to see what would hit it. That thing sat there all day, we never even checked it, and Wham!!!!!!! That thing took off like a choo choo train. We never gained an inch on that dog, and finally we started seeing the silver on the old style reels chrome plated steel spool.

I had an old 4/0 penn senator and a rod laying off on the side and got the bright idea to link the lines. I had my buddy strip off about 150 yards of line off the reel so when we got the fish close, the line wouldn't hit the reels crossmembers from being too full.

We got everything set up and ready, and we went for it. I eased back, pulling the line backwards so my buddy could get ahold of it, they wrapped the line really fast with a stick, cut it, and bonded the two lines with I think it was a blood knott. All this happened in like 5 seconds, and we were really lucky the fish didn't run.

Though the process was succesful, we actually ended up loosing the fish, and never got to see what it was. It was a pity. To this day I ponder what that was. Maybe a big Cobia or a Tarpon that had left his acrobatics at the house.

Fish are funny like that. Most of the time, when I've caught king mackeral on a boat, they'll jump out of the water atleast once or twice. I've yet to see a king jump out of the water when caught from a peir. Why is that?
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
What would you do? - by Tarpon4me - 04-21-2006, 04:15 AM
Re: [Tarpon4me] What would you do? - by tubeN2 - 04-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Re: [tubeN2] What would you do? - by Tarpon4me - 04-26-2006, 04:27 AM
Re: [Tarpon4me] What would you do? - by daymere - 04-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Re: [Tarpon4me] What would you do? - by Dubie - 04-25-2006, 04:26 PM