Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this site slow????
[cool]Float tubes make great teaching tools and motivators for kids...especially the problem cases. Once you get them off the beach, you can threaten to stick a knife in their tube...or just push them out into an offshore current.

HEY...THAT WAS A JOKE. NO FLAMING THE MODERATOR.

Seriously, I had both of my sons in float tubes early. My daughter was okay with shore fishing, or boatin', but drew the line at dangling her precious anatomy in the water.

Kids have fun with float tubes whether they catch any fish or not. That's better than soaking power bait from the bank for three or four whiny hours when the fish ain't bitin. It's also good exercise for kids that don't get as much physical activity as they should. Just be careful you don't overdo it on the first couple of trips, or they will not be anxious to go out again. But, then again, what parent can ever outlast an energetic kid?

If you do plan to take a kid in a tube, make the first trip in the warm waters of summer. You don't need to worry about waders or hypothermia, and the experience is more like swimming. There's also usually better fishing for many species of fish in the summer. Don't try to economize on cheap or poorly designed fins for the kids. Go to a good dive shop and invest in a set of good fins. And, try them on your youngster and make sure they are properly adjusted before you hit the water. If they are too loose, you will lose your investment and you will have to tow your kid back to shore. Too tight, and they will get blisters or foot cramps. Not good.

After that, stick to the basics of taking a kid fishing. Good but simple tackle, proper rig and bait...or lure...for the species and the conditions. And, MOST IMPORTANT, make it THEIR trip...not YOUR trip. You will have plenty of other opportunities to catch fish by yourself, or with more experienced fishing buddies...but when you have a kid along, stick tight and help them enjoy the experience. I always enjoy it more when a young fishing companion catches fish than those I catch myself.

Maybe something like this belongs on a separate thread, but Angler started it. Let's hope Kiyo's countdown to connection passes quickly.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Is this site slow???? - by Baytuber - 02-01-2003, 02:12 AM
Re: [Baytuber] Is this site slow???? - by ssor - 02-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Re: [theangler] Is this site slow???? - by TubeDude - 02-04-2003, 11:55 AM